Negleria fowleri is not contagious but has a fatality rate of over 95%
This year, a 7-year-old boy in the United States died from a so-called ‘brain-eating amoeba’ while swimming in a lake.
According to local media such as CNN and CBS, David Pruitt (7), a resident of California, was infected with Negleria fowleri amoeba after swimming in a lake near his home on the 30th of last month.
Negleria fowleri amoeba inhabits shallow and warm lakes and rivers. After entering the nose with water, it invades the brain through the trachea and destroys brain cells, so it is called a ‘brain-eating amoeba’.
After swimming in the lake, Pruitt developed a fever and a headache, and was admitted to the hospital. He was diagnosed with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) caused by Negleria fowleri amoeba and eventually died on the 7th.
The bereaved family is said to have disclosed the case of death, saying that they hope that many people will be aware and vigilant about it. In addition, the bereaved family started fundraising on the American crowdfunding site ‘GoFundMe’ to raise money for Pruitt’s medical and funeral expenses.
Experts said, “If you are infected with an amoeba, you may complain of severe headache, fever, nausea and vomiting. It is also not contagious, but it is fatal, with a fatality rate of 95%, such as sudden death within 1 to 12 days after infection.
Meanwhile, in September of last year, a 6-year-old Texas boy died of infection through tap water. Experts urged special attention, saying that as global warming intensifies, water temperature rises and damage from amoeba is likely to increase.