72 civil society organizations led by the Ecological Restoration Foundation issued a statement opposing the easing of plastic scrap imports ready to offer 7 ways
Reporters “Prachachat Business” reported that on August 4, 2021, 72 civil society organizations led by the Restoration Ecosystem Foundation. Has issued a statement (No. 2) opposing the easing of plastic scrap imports Strictly halt the import of plastic scrap by 2021
The key message states that, in the past, the plastic waste problem began to become a hot issue in Thai society. After the Chinese government issued a law prohibiting Importing foreign waste in 2017, especially the ban on importing foreign plastic scraps such policy As a result, many plastic waste recycling operators in China have moved their recycling bases to other countries. especially the ASEAN countries and Thailand.
This can be seen from the volume of imported plastic scraps that may be hidden with waste. Plastic has grown exponentially since 2017, reaching more than 500,000 tons in 2018 and news of illegal arrests Many plastic waste importers which is falsely declared as “plastic scrap”
The “Sub-Committee for the Integrated Management of Electronic Waste and Plastic Scraps Imported from Overseas” was established by the government to address the issue. There was a meeting on August 15, 2018, it was resolved to cancel the Import plastic scraps within 2 years (that is, imports are strictly prohibited by the end of September 2020) and impose a 2-year import grace period, which is between August 2018 and August 2020. in during September 2020
The Saleng Association and the Antiques Shop together with 65 civil society organizations have come out to move to “Sub-Committee on Plastic and Electronic Waste Management” will cancel the import of plastic scrap absolutely according to the resolution of the former subcommittee without increasing the plastic scrap import quota anymore
But later, the group of factories tried to push the Ministry of Industry to demand that the imports of plastic scraps be opened. by citing that There is a shortage of raw materials in the country. Specify the need to import plastic scrap up to 685,190 tons per year, although 1) before 2017, the average import was not more than 56,000 tons per year, and 2) the Saleng Association and Wong Commerce have stated that there are Sufficient domestic raw materials
With pressure from the industry and the Ministry of Industry Plastic Waste Management Subcommittee and electronic waste Therefore, the policy was changed. Measures not announced “Strictly cancel the import of plastic scraps” according to the resolution of the sub-committee. Originally held in August 2018 and returned to a new resolution in the meeting on January 25, 2021, which is to set a plan to control the import of plastic scrap.
Aims to ban imports in the next 5 years or from January 1, 2026 onwards. In the meantime, imports are allowed, but must reduce the proportion every year and increase the proportion of plastic scraps in the country instead. By 2021, it cannot be imported. over 250,000 tons
The network also found that while the Department of Industrial Works claimed that it had not granted a license to import plastic scraps, it found that the import of plastic scraps continued for about 100,000 tons of scrap per year. which is the import of factories located in the area of 70,000 tons, the second year can be imported not more than 40,000 tons and the third year is from September 30, 2020 onwards, the license to import plastic scrap according to the original quota will expire. and the importation of plastic scraps from foreign countries is strictly prohibited.
duty-free and free zones, which have separate laws Such information shows A large legal gap and a gap in response to the efforts of factory groups calling for permits to can import plastic scraps continuously
The network of civil society organizations and the Sale and Antiques Association, which have monitored the move, were deeply disappointed by the Subcommittee’s resolution of 25 January 2011 and noted that the Subcommittee’s meeting the On that day, it was rushed and there was no invitation to civil society or even the Saleng Association. Those affected directly participated in regular meetings as well.
The network is of the opinion that the change in policy to relax Diversion to import plastic scrap happens over and over again. If it remains open, large amounts of plastic scrap will be imported as requested. of industrial plants will affect the purchase price of plastic scrap in the country and affect the income of Saleng and antique shop Including directly against the policy of driving towards a circular economy under the BCG (Bio-economy, Circular Economy, Green Economy) policy of the country.
The civil society organization network therefore has the following suggestions: 1. Ask the Subcommittee on Plastic and E-Waste Management to review and repeal the resolution. “Measures against the import of plastic scrap on January 25, 2021” and announced the policy to ban imports. Plastic scrap by the end of 2021 ASAP
At the same time, ask the Pollution Control Department and related agencies to Accelerate the meeting platform between buyers and sellers of plastic scrap. by the Salong Association and the shop Buying antiques willing to cooperate in finding those who want to sell plastic scrap.
2. To amend the law in the free trade area and the free zone law. by prohibiting the importation of plastic scraps from abroad but to use plastic scraps in the country instead
3. to the Department of Foreign Trade Issue an announcement of the Ministry of Commerce prohibiting the import of plastic scraps. Just like garbage electronics by 2022
4. Must be strict inspections on imports, for example, the Customs Department must prepare a sub-tariff of the Customs Tariff 39.15 for monitoring the inspection of plastic scraps and other plastics. To prevent misrepresentation, increase penalties on importers and shipping agents (shipping) for making false statements, as well as disseminating the progress of prosecution. Arrested for smuggling plastic waste and electronic waste and when the grace period is over forbidden to import All plastic scraps, customs tariff 39.15
5. While it is still open for importing plastic scraps to be imported only as Finished “plastic pellets” ready to be taken. Produced as a piece only Operators who are able to bring plastic scraps are required to be ISO14001 certified as a minimum, and must provide evidence to prove that these data are consistent with the truth: (1) Show purchase balance sheet, balance sheet. Sales, Revenue tax balance sheet for the past 3 years and (2) showing the number of exports and actual production capacity figures for the past 3 years; and (3) to allow the importation of plastic scraps from countries that Only have ratified the Basel Convention.
6. The Ministry of Industry must not have a policy to accept foreign investment in the recycling industry that uses Thailand as a base. Processing of foreign scrap materials and then exporting This kind of investment creates unfairness and creates problems. The environment is severe to Thailand because it leaves waste and pollution to Thai people. to have a review Free zone and free trade zone laws and expedite the assessment of factory environmental management standards. and show evidence that the factories that import plastic scraps and scrap materials has benefited How much the country, both economically society and environment Is there a full taxation?
7. Ask the Sub-Committee Added representatives of the Saleng Association and Antique Shops and civil society organizations. Join as a director or working group to create a balance of policy taking into account sustainable development and a concrete circular economy including requiring representatives of civil society to participate in monitoring the Importing plastic scraps from abroad together with officials of the Customs Department and the Department of Industrial Works.