Dozens of batteries were found in the stomach of a woman in her 60s in Ireland. It is shocking that she is known to have swallowed batteries as part of self-harm.
The Daily Star and The Irish Independent reported that 55 batteries were found in the body of a 66-year-old woman who came to a hospital in Ireland with abdominal pain and anorexia on the 18th (local time).
This month, Ireland’s official medical journal published x-rays of the woman’s abdomen, detailing the incident.
The woman’s abdominal x-ray was a shock in itself. There were 55 batteries in her stomach and back. When the medical staff discovered that she had swallowed the batteries, they decided to monitor the situation first.
At the time, the woman showed no signs of intestinal obstruction or gastrointestinal perforation, and the battery was confirmed to be intact, so doctors decided to carry out a non-surgical treatment.
Five AA size batteries were excreted from the body through faeces for a week. However, for two weeks after that, the remaining batteries could not leave the body, and the patient began to complain of abdominal pain and anorexia.
The medical staff eventually decided to surgically remove the battery. At that time, the woman’s stomach was stretched to the pubic bone due to the weight of the battery. The medical staff removed 50 batteries, 46 from the stomach and 4 from the large intestine by gastrectomy. Fortunately, all the batteries were removed and the patient’s condition was said to have improved shortly after the operation.
The medical staff said it was unprecedented for an adult to end up in hospital after swallowing dozens of batteries.
Doctors warn of a number of serious complications and emergencies that using batteries can cause, and they said that the dangers of battery use should not be underestimated.
[맹성규 매경닷컴 기자]
[ⓒ 매일경제 & mk.co.kr, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지]