The masterpiece survival adventure “The Long Dark”, whose long-awaited story campaign “Wintermute” episode 4 “FURY, THEN SILENCE” was released in October of last year after early access in September 2014, is in addition to the upcoming episode 5. , While expectations are high for future trends including paid updates for survival mode and separation of game modes announced at the end of last year, Hinterland Studio boss Raphael van Lierop has released a development diary for April 2022. As a paid update for the survival mode mentioned above, it became clear that we are planning to release a DLC in the season pass format.
In addition, free updates will continue, Katie Sorrell will lead the development of “The Long Dark” in the future, and Raphael van Lierop will leave the project, and it is finally clear that the plan for the next work of Hinterland Studio has started. doing.
- This development diary was released 10 years before the studio was established soon, and summarizes “The Long Dark” and the new prospects of the studio.
- Last year’s community survey revealed that many fans wanted a paid expansion of survival mode, but as a result of seven years of free updates, the foundations of story mode and survival mode depended on each other. It is extremely difficult to expand survival with paid DLC, as there is a deep mutual relationship, one update affects the other, and the test that initially took about one week takes more than one month. It was.
- To deal with this, since the release of Wintermute Episode 4, the team has been working on a huge amount of work to separate survival mode and story mode from each other, and finally they are in a situation where they work independently of each other. This will improve survival and story updates individually and rationally, and finally allow survival-specific changes and improvements without worrying about the impact on Wintermute.
- In other words, not only can we continue to update episode 5 and survival mode, which is the final chapter of Wintermute, independently, but we can finally realize the development of paid content in survival mode, and later this year (the first of this work other than the soundtrack). The update pass (which will be paid content) will start.
- The season pass-style survival expansion will consist of multiple content updates with a view to a period of about 15-18 months from the second half of this year. There will also be individual paid DLC sales.
- Along with the release of the Season Pass / Paid DLC, a free update will be released in parallel to improve the survival mode base game.
- A roadmap for paid Season Pass updates will be published at a later date.
- Raphael van Lierop, who has led the development of “The Long Dark”, has retired as the project leader, and Katie Sorrell, who has been the lead designer until now, is the “The Long Dark” as it marks the 10th anniversary of the studio’s establishment. Become a new leader. Meanwhile, Raphael van Lierop, as the creative director of the studio, will enter the creative period for the next work. So far, no specific information about the new plan has been presented, but he is thinking of a work that has an impact and lasts for a long time, such as “The Long Dark”.
- With this, Raphael van Lierop’s direct contribution to “The Long Dark” will be the script for the upcoming Wintermute Final Chapter Episode 5.