Thai people are cool and unbeatable. The KEETA team has passed the final round of NASA’s Deep Space Food Challenge. They must compete to develop space food for astronauts to survive for 3 years without having to replenish supplies from Earth.
On October 20, 2021, the NASA website of the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced the finalists for the Deep Space Food Challenge for astronauts in food technology, one of which was team KEETA from Bangkok. Thailand is one of the 10 teams that qualified for the finals.
The Deep Space Food Challenge is a competition organized by the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the Canadian Space Agency, with a challenge for participants to develop sufficient food technology. That would allow four astronauts to live in space for three years without having to replenish supplies from Earth. and produce as much food as possible with the least raw materials and waste generation. Create delicious, diverse, nutritious food. The astronauts spent the least time preparing food.
The KEETA team made use of insects with a high protein ratio. Combine it with 3D printer technology to create a food production system with the desired look and features. This idea was liked by the judges until they were able to successfully qualify for the first phase of the competition.
According to TNN, the members of the KEETA team are as follows:
– Ms. Naphatthanan Pornpimonchoke aerospace engineering student Chulalongkorn University
– Mr. Praphanpong Damsongsang PhD student, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
– Mr. Sittipol Kusermmit aerospace engineering student Chulalongkorn University
– Mr. Watcharin Anvej Master’s degree student in Medical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mahidol University
– Dr. Waret Chancharoen Lecturer at the Faculty of Medicine and Public Health Srisawangkhawatana College of Medicine Chulabhorn Royal College
The faces of the KEETA team members
Image from NASA
Thank you for information from NASA, TNN, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, deepspacefoodchallenge.org.