Girl who claimed from the release of her father after the Mississippi ICE raids he came to her father

Girl who claimed from the release of her father after the Mississippi ICE raids he came to her father

Her father, Andres Gomez-Jorge, was released from immigration detention last week after relatives and friends raised money to pay her $ 7,500 band.

His daughter's voice was heard worldwide in a video that went viral after the immigration authorities had hundreds of undocumented workers balanced at some Mississippi food processing plants in early August.

"I need my dad … It's not a criminal," said Magdalena, sobering while waiting for other children at a local gym that offered food and shelter on the day of raids for children whose parents were raised.

Gomez-Jorge worked at the Morton Koch Foods plant in Morton, Mississippi when the raids occurred. His wife, Juana, didn't ask her to know her first name but from the fear of her family's safety, she did not sleep for days while she waited for a word about her husband.

Now, the couple and their four children are “delighted” to be reunited but are not sure what they will have in the future.

"I don't know what to do. I don't know what will happen," said Gomez-Jorge, when asked about his plans.

He has not yet received a court date and is struggling to find work. He wants to work in construction but says that jobs are scarce because he is getting cold.

Because Gomez-Jorge brings all the income and is currently unemployed, the family is living on food and silver donations.

There is no charge to employers

Three months after the raids, there are no filing charges against any of the owners or companies involved in more than 650 workers without hiring documents which were detailed after the raids.

The affidavits made publicly available after the historic raids in August 7 showed that federal agents indicated that the food processing plants employed undocumented workers.

On Thursday, some Democratic law makers from the House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security questioned the issue of ICE officials at Mississippi hearing, and he pressed him to explain why there was no charge to employers.

Induction workers after Mississippi immigration raids, but no employers were charged

Jere Miles, a special agent in charge of the New Orleans office, Homeland Security Investigations, told committee members that as a result of the raids no employer had been arrested, noting that the investigation was taking place. always.

Investigators seized 850,000 documents and 22 terabytes information, he said.

Two of the chicken processing plants have said raid they followed local and federal laws and participated in E-Verify, which is used to confirm employment eligibility for workers. Officials at two other plants did not respond to previous requests for traffic.

"As I understand you all understand, it is a long process to take a criminal prosecution," noting that the execution is not the execution of a search warrant ".

"Seven months from now or a year from now on when we finish the investigation," he said, "no one will thank us for it."

This explanation did not go well with the Democratic Democracy of Al Green from Texas.

"You knew before you discovered that laws were being broken, but you chose the undocumented person without the employers being excluded," Green said. "This is not how we treat people in the United States."

Many workers were deprived of fees between illegal reentry and abuse of social security numbers, according to court documents.

Catherine Shoichet added CNN to this report.

.

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.