(Deutsche Welle Chinese website) China’s Shaanxi Province reported 151 local confirmed cases on Tuesday (28th), all in Xi’an. This is China’s most severe wave of local epidemics since March last year. The Yan’an Municipal Government in Shaanxi also reported Local cases have appeared and people are forbidden to go out. Hundreds of thousands of residents are affected. They and the 13 million people in Xi’an must stay at home.
Although compared with the global virus hot spots in Europe and the United States, China’s epidemic situation is relatively easing, but because China has not relaxed its “zero tolerance” epidemic prevention goal, the strict control and control it has repeatedly implemented due to the epidemic has made local residents uncomfortable.
“I’m going to be starved to death,” a Xi’an resident wrote on the Weibo platform. “There is no food. Don’t let me go out. My instant noodles are almost finished…please help me!”
Many Xi’an residents also complained about these travel restrictions on social media, including the prohibition of driving and only allowing one family member to go out to buy food every three days. Agence France-Presse stated that this control measure is the most comprehensive lockdown in Wuhan since the beginning of the outbreak.
Some people in Xi’an pointed out to Deutsche Welle through Twitter that, a few days before the closure of the city, each household had a pass and one person in and out of the community for purchases in two days, but no one would leave the house after 27 days.
Citizens in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province, China line up for nucleic acid testing.
He said: “Many people purchased things the day before the announcement of the closure of the city. However, some people were not prepared. It is estimated that the average family will be able to survive for a few days and have stock. Some people who live alone, who usually do not purchase in large quantities, are basically very busy. It’s difficult, maybe no one expected the situation, and I didn’t have that preparation.”
The resident expressed dissatisfaction with the government’s anti-epidemic policy and said: “They will only consider from their own perspective, how to prevent the epidemic from continuing to expand is the main thing. It is estimated that as long as people are not starving to death due to food shortages, they will not care. I think more about my political achievements and the chair under my ass.”
He also disagrees with the government’s “zero tolerance” policy and criticized the Chinese authorities for “not having the ability to deal with it properly and can only use this violent behavior to demonstrate their abilities. I don’t think this epidemic prevention model will be successful, in the long run.”
The official Chinese media “People’s Daily” Weibo account also confessed that Xi’an currently has problems such as “difficulties in buying vegetables”, and posted on the official Weibo that it would deliver meat, eggs, milk and other daily necessities in multiple districts in Xi’an overnight. However, many netizens in the comment area left messages saying that the situation in some areas was serious but was not mentioned.
According to a report by the official media “Global Network”, Xi’an City organized the preparation of vegetables and other daily necessities on the evening of the 28th to provide sufficient material guarantee for the closed management community.
European forces against Omi Keron
The extremely contagious Omi Keron variant virus has also caused the new crown epidemic in European countries to heat up again. Countries including the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Portugal, and other countries have all reached a new high in the number of new diagnoses in a single day. Both Switzerland and the Netherlands pointed out that Omi Keron has become the mainstream virus strain in the country.
The WHO warned on Tuesday (28th) that although early studies have shown that the Omicron variant virus has milder symptoms, it may still cause an overwhelming burden on medical care and overwhelm the medical system. Germany has now re-implemented strict epidemic prevention. Measures to resist Omi Keron, in addition to limiting private gatherings to 10 people who have been vaccinated, the authorities also closed nightclubs and required sports games to be held behind closed doors.
Although preliminary findings indicate that the disease caused by Omi Keron is relatively mild, the WHO warns against being too relaxed. Catherine Smallwood, a senior WHO emergency officer, said: “The rapid increase in Ome Keron cases, even if the symptoms are mild, will still cause a large number of people to be hospitalized, especially the unvaccinated groups, and will damage health. Systems and other key services.”
In response to this wave of epidemics, European countries have restored epidemic prevention measures that have had a huge impact on the economy and society. Finland said on Tuesday (28th) that it will prohibit entry of unvaccinated foreign travelers, and only residents, important staff or diplomats can be exempted.
Sweden began to require COVID-19 testing for people entering the country from Tuesday (28th), and Denmark, as the country with the highest per capita infection rate in the world, has already taken the same measures.
According to statistics from Agence France-Presse, during the busiest New Year and Christmas holidays, since last Friday (24th), about 11,500 flights worldwide have been cancelled and tens of thousands of flights have been delayed.
© 2021 Deutsche Welle’s copyright notice: All content in this article is protected by copyright law and may not be used without special authorization from Deutsche Welle. Any misconduct will lead to recovery and criminal prosecution.