|Ha Heon-gu, Professor at the Graduate School of Logistics, Inha University|
The cargo union’s decision to refuse collective transport has started again following last June. As of last June, Korea Cargo Solidarity is asking the government to remove the sunset system for the freight car safe price system, which has been in effect temporarily for three years, and expand the target items.
In the initial negotiation process, the safe freight rate system was introduced as a temporary system for three years, limited to two items, a container and cement, taking into account the impact and side effects that could be brought to the freight market, I know. you decided to do it. If the Trucking Business Act, which is the basis of this safe fare system, is not amended within this year, the safe fare system will be automatically abolished.
When it comes to the effectiveness of the secure freight system over the last three years, the cargo union and the carriers show a clear difference of opinion. The Korea Cargo Federation is of the position that it is necessary to abolish the sunset system as it clearly has the effect of improving the overworking, speeding and overloading of cargo drivers who are of the opinion that it should be abolished .
Recently, as domestic and foreign conditions deteriorated, the outlook for the national economy continued to be bleak. In its economic outlook published on the 22nd, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) presented Korea’s economic growth rate next year at 1.8%, 0.4%p lower than its September forecast (2.2%). In a situation where the national economy is in a difficult situation due to the global economic recession, high prices and high interest rates, overlapping logistics disruptions can lead to damage that is difficult to recover from. If our economy is to run vigorously again, logistics, an economic artery, must never stop.
In this situation, the government proposed a three-year extension to the sunset system in order to examine the effect of the safe price system more closely. In fact, it is unreasonable to judge the economic and social performance of any system based on the impact of the three-year implementation alone. In order for stakeholders to agree on the impact of improving overworking, speeding and overloading of truck drivers, which is the purpose of the first introduction of the safe fare system, the driving habits and lifestyle of truck drivers must be improved according to the guarantee. So, 3 years seems short.
Therefore, the cargo union needs to withdraw from the refusal to ship, which can cause huge damage to the national economy, and try to find a solution through dialogue with the government and shippers. The National Assembly should try to reduce the social and economic side effects caused by stopping logistics urgently by collecting the views of the cargo unions and carriers and actively discuss the revision of the law.
It is hoped that through dialogue and active discussion between the government, the National Assembly and stakeholders, that various problems identified so far will be improved and a new secure ticketing system that can be understood and accepted by all stakeholders will be be reborn. We hope that the logistics industry, which is responsible for the central axis of Korea’s economic development, can become the foundation for continued growth and development.
* This contribution is 11month 30WorkNow Financial Newsalso published.
The copyright of the Policy Brief contributions and columns is owned by the original author. If you want to reproduce, you must get the author’s permission directly, and you may be penalized for unauthorized use.
In accordance with the operating principles of policy briefing post, the following posts may be deleted.
- 1. In the case of posting personal information such as another person’s email address, telephone number, resident registration number, etc. or the relevant information
- 2. In case of damage to the reputation of others with unconfirmed content
- 3. Distribute or link content that violates public order and morals
- 4. Using profanity and profane language and posting terms that denigrate certain race, gender, region or political views.
- 5. If the content promotes illegal copying, viruses, hacking, etc.
- 6. In the case of advertising for commercial purposes or promotional writing of a specific individual (organisation)
- 7. Articles that constitute copyright infringement by posting unauthorized works (links to articles, photographs, etc.) by others
- 8. In the event of posting an act relating to or instigating a crime or related content
- 9. In the case of posting by impersonating or impersonating a public figure or party involved in a particular matter, a person around the party, or an acquaintance of the party
- 10. In the case of posting specific opinions, claims, information, etc. that are not related to the content of the article or post
- 11. In the case of repeated postings with the same title, only a text or part of it changed
- 12. If it is deemed to be contrary to other related laws
- 13. When there is an official request from an investigative agency, etc.
Closing Operating Principles
Consult the person in charge in advance before using any materials that do not have a public website attached.