▶ Click here for a larger view
Myanmar’s military regime in a coup d’état on the 10th sentenced Aung San Suu Kyi, 76-year-old state adviser, to an additional four years in prison, increasing the total sentence to six years.
In particular, there are observations that the sentence for shame torture could exceed 100 years if convicted on the remaining 10 charges, including bribery.
Foreign media such as Reuters and AFP reported that, citing a source, the military government court sentenced him to four years in prison for accusing him of illegally importing and possessing a radio and violating quarantine measures against the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). reported
Previously, in early December of last year, Suu Kyi was also convicted of sedition and violation of COVID-19 quarantine measures and was sentenced to four years in prison.
However, shortly thereafter, Supreme Commander Min Aung Hlaing, the head of the coup, reduced the sentence to two years in the form of amnesty.
The military said that the general election in November 2020, which ended in a sweeping victory for the civilian government, was a fraudulent election, and immediately after a coup d’état on February 1 last year, the shame torture was put under house arrest and charged with 10 crimes including bribery and violation of the Confidentiality Act on public officials. indicted one after another.
Under Myanmar’s Criminal Code, bribery and disclosure of secrets carry a maximum sentence of 15 years and 14 years, respectively.
For this reason, if found guilty of all these charges, the sentence could be up to 100 years in prison.
As the military government sentenced him to a prison sentence at the second sentencing trial, it is expected that the possibility of subsequent imprisonment for the torturer will be increased in the remaining trials in the future.
It is known that the military sentenced him to imprisonment at a place of house arrest for shame torture
The military remains silent as to exactly where the shame adviser is under house arrest.
Shame Advisor denies all charges brought against him.
The Democratic camp, ousted in a coup, has criticized the military administration’s indiscriminate prosecution as intended to make a political resurgence of the still popular shame torturer impossible.
In this regard, Phil Robertson, deputy director of Asia for Human Rights Watch (HRW), an international human rights group, said in a statement that “the military court ruling is intended to build up the convictions for false charges step by step, so that shame torture is indefinitely in prison.” did.
“The Supreme Commander-in-Chief Hlaing and the military leadership still view shame torture as the greatest political threat that must be permanently eliminated,” Robertson added.
Copyrights ⓒ Yonhap News. Unauthorized reproduction and redistribution prohibited