In an update issued Friday, the health ministry said that the new case was found in the Beni conflict region.
“The patient appeared to have been infected after being exposed to body fluids from a patient who had returned from Ebola. A detailed investigation is also underway with a virus sequence to determine the epidemiological link, ”he said.
The announcement came just three days after the ministry reported “great progress”, saying that the epidemic appeared to have been controlled in the Beni area.
More than 500 people died as a result of the fatal virus being broken last year in August in the North Kivu region which limits Uganda and Rwanda.
Beni had a hard peak, representing 118 of the deaths.
Despite the progress being made, the ministry warned that Beni was in danger from neighboring areas of Katwa and Butembo, where new case scores have emerged this month.
In the past 21 days, 58 cases were declared in Katwa and 16 in Butembo, the ministry said.
To date, the Ebola epidemic, which occurred on 1 August, resulted in 536 deaths.
Under a week-long program, 82,583 people have been vaccinated against the disease, almost two-thirds of whom are in Beni, Katwa and Butembo.
An epidemic can only be confirmed when the country has not recorded any new Ebola case for 42 consecutive days.
International health experts are helping out in eastern Congo but violence in the region has hindered efforts to keep the disease, where militia groups are too high.
For more news your way, download the Citizen's app iOS and Android.
.Leave a comment