Title: Russian Vegan Influencer Dies from Malnutrition: The Dangers of Raw Vegetables
– Russian vegan influencer, Zhanna Samsonova, 39, died in Malaysia after consuming a diet mainly consisting of raw vegetables and fruits.
– While the exact cause of death is pending a medical report, it is believed that severe malnutrition played a significant role.
– It is important to emphasize that raw vegetables can sometimes be dangerous, not just due to the lack of nutrient intake, but also the potential presence of toxins, chemical residues, and parasites.
– The Department of Health highlights the numerous benefits of fruits and vegetables, including vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, weight control, cholesterol reduction, and immune system support.
– A systematic review and meta-analysis showed that eating enough fruits and vegetables can lower the death rate from chronic non-communicable diseases.
– The recommended daily intake is 5 portions of fruits and vegetables, with an emphasis on consuming more vegetables than fruit.
– Certain vegetables contain toxins and should not be eaten raw in large quantities, such as cabbage, long beans, bamboo shoots, and spinach.
– Unwashed fruits and vegetables can harbor parasites, leading to various parasitic diseases.
– Chemical residues from pesticides can also pose a health risk, with some vegetables and fruits exceeding the permissible limits.
– Properly washing fruits and vegetables with running water, vinegar-based soaking, or sodium bicarbonate can help reduce the risk of contamination and pesticide residues.
Note: The above information provides a concise summary of the original text, focusing on key points related to the dangers of raw vegetables, the benefits of fruits and vegetables, and the importance of proper washing to reduce health risks.
Russian female influencer, 39, dies after eating aloneraw vegetablesand fruit Over the past 7 years, my mother and my friends believed that it was caused by a lack of nutrition But we still have to wait for the results of the medical report. Fruit and vegetables are very beneficial for the body, but eatraw vegetablesThat is sometimes dangerous. in some cases to death And it’s not just because they eat only vegetables until they lack nutrients. Eat vegetables for the good of the body. You must know how to wash fruit and vegetables properly to reduce the risk ofraw vegetablesto occur both from toxins in vegetables Chemical residues and parasites
The influence of eating fruit and vegetables for 7 years, he died
New York Post reports that Zhanna Samsonova or Zhanna D’art, Russian vegan influencer, 39, died on July 21, 2023. while in Malaysia with severe malnutrition after receiving treatment During a trip in Southeast Asia
In the last 7 years, she has mainly eaten raw vegetables and fruits such as durian, jackfruit, sunflower sprouts, fruit smoothies and fruit juice.
Channa’s mother said her daughter had died. With cholera-like symptoms, diarrhea, vomiting, excretion of large amounts of water, and severe malnutrition it is believed that severe malnutrition has occurred. Affects the body’s immune system. And the official case is pending a medical report.
Benefits of fruit and vegetables
The Office of Nutrition, Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health states that fruit and vegetables are good sources of vitamins. minerals and dietary fiber help control weight lower cholesterol levels slow the absorption of sugar in the extract stimulate excretion
Green vegetables reduce macular degeneration reduce the risk of breast cancer Yellow-orange vegetables take care of sight, heart and blood vessels. boost the body’s immunity blue-purple vegetables Slow down the degeneration of memory cells. Reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. white-brown vegetables build strong cells Reduce sugar and fat in the blood, reduce blood pressure, anti-inflammatory. Prevents tumor formation Red vegetables help prevent and stop the growth of breast cancer cells. prostate cancer colon cancer and endometrial cancer Cures abnormal conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis
and specialist education from the support of the Division of Noncommunicable Diseases, Department of Disease Control, using a systematic review and meta-analysis. A meta-analysis found that eating enough fruit and vegetables can help reduce the death rate from chronic non-communicable diseases. And eating one more serving of vegetables a day can reduce your chance of developing diabetes by 10%.
How much fruit and vegetables you should eat every day
The Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, recommends that 5 portions of vegetables and fruit should be eaten in a day, emphasizing eating more vegetables than fruit, such as 3 portions of vegetables, 2 portions of fruit, or 4 portions of vegetables and 1 serving of fruit.
1 portion of ripe vegetables is equal to 1 ladle or 1 handful 1 portion of fresh vegetables is equal to 2 ladles or 2 handfuls Small fruits such as grapes, longan, lychees 1 portion is equal to 6-8 fruits Medium fruits such as bananas, oranges, rose apples 1 serving pear Equal to 1 – 2 large fruits such as watermelon, pineapple, papaya, cantaloupe, 1 serving equals 6 – 8 pieces of fruit, 1 serving high energy fruit equals to half durian, half guava, half mango, etc.
There are 4 types of vegetables that contain toxins
However, some vegetables should not be eaten raw because they contain certain substances. or accumulated contamination from various chemicals that are harmful to health Some species, if consumed in large quantities, can die.
There are 4 types of vegetables that have their own toxins:
1. cabbage vegetables that are high in vitamin C receive the cabbage to cook and then eat it Because in cabbage there are oxalate substances when eating raw cabbage in large quantities enters the kidney cone. It can cause gallstones to occur.
In addition, raw cabbage contains a goitrogen, which prevents the thyroid gland from absorbing iodine. abnormal thyroid function
But according to the toxicity report, it was found that 0.4 mg per 1 kg of body weight had to be received, if a person weighing 50 kg had to receive no more than 20 mg, where 1 kg of cabbage was contain only 0.1 mg of this substance, so the toxicity There is almost no concern about getting this substance from eating cabbage, except eating in the amount of 20 kg per day.
2. long beans It contains a large amount of glycoproteins and lectins, and this type of substance can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in a period of 3 hours.
3. Bamboo shoots Contains cyanide to bind to hemoglobin Causes dizziness, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, vomiting or lack of oxygen, unconsciousness and possibly death. But this substance will reduce more if heated sufficiently.
4. spinach It contains oxalic acid, and when it enters the body, it binds to calcium and iron in the colon or kidneys. forming calcium oxalate and oxalate anion Normally, the body can excrete on its own. but if you eat large amounts it can increase your risk of developing kidney stones. Boiling vegetables before eating can reduce oxalate content even more. Other cooking methods
Parasites found in unwashed fresh vegetables
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns of the dangers of eating vegetables that are not washed properly. The risk of many parasitic diseases, including:
Tapeworm disease, symptoms found as malnutrition peritonitis If the larva of the parasite is in the muscles it will cause pain If the larva enters the eye or brain, it can cause blindness, headache, seizures , paralysis and death. “Whipworm disease” causes the body to be thin, bloated, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and hives. Children with this disease will grow slowly. Whipworm disease has been caused by eating raw vegetables or unpeeled fruit Nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, bloody stools Can cause ulcerative colitis or cause the colon to protrude through the anus
pesticide residues in vegetables
In addition, some vegetables are sometimes found to contain chemical residues. harmful to the body
For example, bean sprouts are at risk of getting Sodium sulphite, also known as bleach, if he eats a large amount of raw bean sprouts, is also allergic to this substance. inevitably causes nausea being short of breath low blood pressure and abdominal pain as well This bleach will break down and be destroyed. only when cooked
Although the Thai Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN) has published the results of the 2019 inspection of pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables, stating that 178 samples were randomly collected from 15 types of vegetables and 9 types of fruit, totaling 108 samples leading modern trade department stores. and fresh markets in various provinces across Thailand in the Bangkok area
Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasothon, Sa Kaeo, Chanthaburi, Ratchaburi and Songkhla sent to an ISO-17025 certified laboratory in the United Kingdom.
find Around 40% of vegetables contained pesticide residues that were above the standard. And around 43% of the fruit contained pesticide residues that exceeded the standard.
accumulated toxins in the body If it is received in small amounts, not seriously There will be nausea, vomiting, headache and diarrhoea, but if a lot is given the symptoms can be serious up to difficulty breathing. Muscle twitching, weakness, convulsions, loss of consciousness, dry, scaly skin. Amnesia, infertility and colon cancer, etc. are heavier.
How to clean vegetables, reduce the risk
Consumers should pay attention to cleaning fruits and vegetables that may be stained by mud-contaminated soil. before eating or cooking Reduces the risk of contamination and pesticide residues in fruit and vegetables can be made in 3 ways:
Method 1: Wash with running water. By soaking in water for 15 minutes, then turn on the running water and dry the vegetable leaves for 2 minutes, which is suitable for washing a small amount of vegetables.
Method 2 Soak in water mixed with 5 percent vinegar in the ratio of 1 tablespoon of vinegar per 4 liters of water, soak for 15 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
Method 3 uses sodium bicarbonate. (Baking soda) half a tablespoon mixed with 10 liters of water, soak for 15 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
Department of Health
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Department of Disease Control (Khor.)
Pesticide Alert Network
#dangerous #Influencer #dies #eating #raw #vegetables