- Roger Federer beats John Millman in the 3rd round of the Australian Open 4: 6, 7: 6 (7: 2), 6: 4, 4: 6, 7: 6 (10: 8).
- In the champions tie-break, the Swiss still manages to turn around after a 4: 8 deficit.
- For Federer it is the 100th victory in Melbourne.
- In the round of 16, the Hungarian Marton Fucsovics (ATP 67) is waiting for the Swiss.
What a thriller, what an anniversary victory for Roger Federer. It was impressive to see how the Swiss man was able to cope with various setbacks and forced the turn with a grandiose effort.
- In the first set, Federer quickly gets 1: 3 in reserve, creates the re-break at the last opportunity, but then still loses the passage.
- In the fourth movement, Federer sniffs the break several times before, in turn, cashes in on the service breakthrough and loses contact.
- In the decision-making process, the third in the world rankings falls into reserve early, but immediately manages the rebreak to 2: 2.
- But Federer manages the hussar piece in the Champions tie-break introduced in Melbourne in 2019 (on 10 points). Seemingly hopeless with 4: 8 in the rear, the Swiss takes 6 points in a row and thus secures the entry into the round of 16.
Not a few Federer fans should have had bad memories of the 2018 US Open round of 16 during the game. At that time, Federer had headed towards an apparently comfortable 2-0 lead against Millman before the thread broke completely and resulted in a 4-set defeat.
The tough adversary Millman, driven by the local fans, played big this year in the Rod Laver Arena and headed for the big sensation as in 2018. And Federer actively helped with a total of 82 uncommon errors.
Fucsovics is waiting in the round of 16
But unlike back then in New York, when Federer ran out of breath in the heat of the Arthur Ashe Stadium, the Swiss was able to gain ground again in the decisive situations and turned out to be a true liberation artist.
In the round of 16, Federer will face Hungarian Marton Fucsovics on Sunday. In the first round he surprisingly beat the Canadian Denis Shapovalov in 4 sets. Federer already played in the round of 16 against Melbourne’s number 67 in Melbourne Park two years ago and won in three sets.
Broadcast reference: SRF info, sportlive, 24.01.2020, 09:45 a.m.