From Hollywood to Washington, starring "Empire", Jussie Smollett, has been supported by a homophobic and alleged racist attack.
Corrections & clarifications: This story has been edited since its publication.
Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Thursday that camera surveillance footage has been recovered by a detective star of Jussie Smollett's "Empire star" coming home at his apartment with a rope around his neck. He said the video was recorded a minute after the actress said that two men masked him. Investigators were still unable to find footage of the attack.
Guglielmi said that the rope around his neck and cuttings and scrapes was still on his face when officers arrived at Smollett's apartment.
The attack on Smollett, which occurred during the early hours of Tuesday morning, is being investigated as "potential hate crime." The actor said that his attackers had poured him "an unknown chemical substance", and he used racist and homophobic smears. (Smollett, who is black and gay, told the police afterwards that his attackers went into obsolescence, "This is a MAGA country!"
Earlier, Guglielmi revealed that Smollett was on the phone with his manager about 2 a.m. Tuesday, when his attackers came to him. However, he said that the actor refused to give his cell phone records to investigators.
The spokesman noted that the abundance of surveillance footage in the Streeterville neighborhood was a source of help and hindrance. He expressed his hope that the detectives would be able to bring them together to collect most of the Smollett journey from the Subway restaurant to his apartment at about 2 a.m. Tuesday, when Smollett said that the attack took place. But he also said that the investigators did not rely on the time stamps from the various public and private surveillance cameras.
“I like to put together a puzzle,” he said.
Jussie Smollett, Emperor star: Successful attackers, “This is MAGA's country” with us threshing
On Wednesday, the police first paused in the case, and many videos were being compiled to release some images of "people who might be of interest."
In a tweet that night, Guglielmi described the images as "photographs of people who were interested in the field of alleged assaults and the battery that was lost by the lost member of the Empire." He said, "While the video does not happen, the detectives are taking this development seriously and want to question people because more cameras are being reviewed."
Since then, the actor / singer, 36, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, left where his face and neck were treated, and intends to do a scheduled concert before. in Los Angeles this weekend.
A person who had known the case but had not authorized him to speak publicly about Smollett's performance plans confirmed to USA Monday.
Smollett, Pamela Sharp, told the United States that he was "recovering well."
It was planned that the "Empire" in Chicago would restart, Thursday resumed after a few days of production had stopped due to the cold temperatures recorded there.
"Empire" is to go back from the winter break on March 13th. (Photo: Matt Dinerstein / 20th Century Fox)
Guglielmi told the United States that Smollett detectives had made physical contact outside the ER on Tuesday and were in contact with him again on Wednesday. Together, they have put together a timeline of the event.
Officials have explored "hundreds of hours of video" from businesses and hotels in the area that is heavily monitored, Guglielmi said. But he said they must collect and see more.
"We ask anyone who is aware of this incident to contact the District Chief Observers at 312-747-8382 or report it anonymously on www.cpdtip.com," the police said.
On Wednesday, Chicago's colleague, Bobby Rush, introduced H.R. 35, a bill applying federal crime, t tweeted that he contacted a FBI director, Christopher Wray, to "investigate civil rights immediately and sweep the racist and homophobic attack" on Smollett.
In a statement, he called for the attack "ordinary hate and simple offense" and promised not to "stand while evil acts are performed on any citizen, especially in my hometown."
President Donald Trump also commented on the attack in response to reporters on Thursday.
"I can say you're horrible. I think this is terrible," he said. "He's not getting worse, as long as I'm worried."
Michael Carroll, CPD Officer, confirmed to the United States that the FBI is threatening a threatening letter containing a white substance sent to Smollett at the Chicago Fox studios on January 22. The subsequent powder was acetaminophen, or Tylenol .
Contributory: Carly Mallenbaum, Associated Press
Squabble social media: Kevin Hart criticized Smollett's support for homosexual controversy
Not discrete event:Increased foul attacks, noose
Smollett not only:Highlights of the attack added to the risks facing a black LGBT community
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/01/30/empire-star-jussie-smollett-police-locate-persons-interest/2726737002/