surgical treatment for thyroid disease
thyroid gland It is another endocrine gland that is important to the body’s functioning system. Because it is a gland that helps produce hormones to stimulate the metabolic system. controlling energy production for the body speeding up the breathing process sweating It also helps to improve the body’s metabolic system. Many types of conditions and disorders can affect the thyroid gland, such as hyperthyroidism. inflammatory thyroid disease goiter thyroid cancer
If the lesion is found the doctor will have a treatment plan that is suitable for the patient’s body and the location of the thyroid gland. and if the abnormality has not yet reached a serious level I usually start treatment by taking medicine first. But if taking medication and still unable to control swollen thyroid hormones or a condition where the pathology of the thyroid gland is more serious does not respond to medication or mineral intake, the doctor will consider treating it by surgery.
indications for surgery
1. The result of the biopsy was found to be thyroid cancer.
2. The results of the biopsy revealed that there was a border between abnormal cells. which can increase your chance of getting cancer
3. The results of the biopsy revealed that it was a benign tumour. But the lump is bigger, 2-4 cm or more, or there are many lumps. and they have symptoms of pressure on nearby organs such as the oesophagus, the trachea, etc.
Currently, thyroid surgery techniques can be divided into 2 types as follows.
1. Open incision thyroid surgery It is a traditional standard surgery that has been used for a long time. The doctor will make an incision to open the wound in the middle of the patient’s neck. After that, the tool will be used to treat or cut out the thyroid nodules. This technique can remove tumors of any size. But it could affect the confidence in life because there will be a scar in the middle of the neck.
2. Endoscopic thyroidectomy It is a new surgical technique that uses a small surgical camera as an aid in surgery. Which has the strength of being accurate and on the spot and the doctor does not need to cut the wound on the outside of the skin But he can choose to open the wound in other areas, such as laparoscopic thyroidectomy It can be done in many ways, such as surgery through the armpit (Axillary approach), the chest (Chest approach) and the breast (Breast approach), etc. Such surgery Thyroidectomy can be done in unilateral surgery (Lobectomy, Hemithyroidectomy) and surgical removal (complete thyroidectomy). It is necessary to remove the subcutaneous tissue from the surgical wound to the thyroid gland in the neck (Remote access), which can cause a lot of subcutaneous fascia after surgery. and it can also cause a keloid scar around the surgical wound Some patients also
Oral Thyroid Surgery Transvesical Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vesicular Approach (TOETVA) It is a new technique of laparoscopic thyroid surgery. The patient will have no visible scars from the outside. There was only a small surgical incision of about 2 cm and 0.5 cm on the lower lip mucosa. It can also help reduce inflammation of the tissue around the wound healing quickly. Both sides can be surgically removed at the same time. Including being able to clearly see the nerves that feed the vocal cords Doing surgery with this method gives good treatment results. and safe It is very popular these days. due to good surgical results No scars from surgery As a result, the number of patients worldwide undergoing this method has increased dramatically in the last 8 years.
Preparation before thyroid surgery
If the doctor has decided that a surgical procedure should be used to treat the thyroid The doctor will also recommend preparations before the appointment for surgery. Each patient may have different preparation instructions, but the main ones may be as follows.
1. Patients undergoing surgery must provide a medical history. history of underlying disease Currently taking medications
including vitamins Dietary supplements, herbal supplements, all types of health as it may be necessary to refrain from taking the drug beforehand before having surgery Especially the fibrinolytic drugs above have an effect on blood clotting.
2. Patients must undergo a medical examination to check their fitness before surgery. The doctor will identify the items.
Necessary health checks for the patients themselves, such as electrocardiogram Lung X-ray examination complete blood count, urinalysis
3. Abstain from food and water at least 6-8 hours before surgery
Exercise after thyroid surgery
1. eat soft foods like soup, congee, rice porridge during 2-3 days or 1 week after surgery
2. Take antibiotics for 1 week
3. Avoid coughing, sneezing, straining, exercising or heavy lifting for at least 1 week.
4. Start exercising around the mouth and throat 1 week after surgery.
present Thyroid surgery has brought in modern equipment and technology to assist the surgical procedure to be accurate. more efficient such as a Harmonic energy device for laparoscopic vascular closure and biopsy (Harmonic energy Device) which can effectively seal blood vessels and stop bleeding and isolate the thyroid membrane and surrounding muscles, using Medical Indocyanine green fluorescence fluorescent agents (ICG) in combination with a surgical camera that can see color. Intravenous delivery of ICG to the parathyroid glands can help reduce injury and ischemia of the parathyroid glands during thyroid surgery better than ever. Reduce the likelihood of postoperative hypoparathyroidism and hypocalcemia after total thyroidectomy. , Using the Nerve Monitoring System, which is a surgical device to measure the nerve that feeds the laryngeal nerve (Regular laryngeal nerve), can reduce injuries from both nerve cutting and nerve bruising after surgery. In general, from the technologies mentioned above, together with an operation performed by a surgeon who specializes in surgery. making good surgical results greatly reducing the chance of complications
Ask for more details.
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Paolo Kaset Hospital
Telephone 02 1500 900 ext. 5114
Official line account: Paolo Hospital Kaset
Line ID : @paolokaset