The pregnant mother has thalassemia. will you be with me How to prevent

The pregnant mother has thalassemia. What are your child’s chances? come and answer questions Thalassemia and thalassemia carrier in pregnant women Can I get thalassemia? with protection guidelines

Thalassemia genetic diseasethat many people have heard and know Because it can be female and male and can be passed from parents to children. According to statistics, about 24 million Thai people, or 40 percent, have this type of normal gene in their body without symptoms. also known as “Thalassaemia Carriers”, most of whom don’t even know they are. For those planning to have an heir perhaps worried about Can thalassemia carriers have children? then ifpregnant motherinThalassemia What is the probability of an unborn child? How to prepare Let’s find answers together.

What causes thalassemia in pregnant women?

Thalassemia or anemia with abnormal red blood cells It is a genetic disease caused by abnormalities in recessive genes. Causes the body to produce a decrease in the amount of hemoglobin in red blood cells. Resulting in abnormal red blood cells tearing easily. lead to chronic anemia or anemia And other embedded diseases can follow, such as gallstones in the gall bladder, diabetes, slow growth. having iron overload, abnormal heart and liver function, etc.

Pregnant mothers with thalassemia can be divided into 2 groups, namely, “thalassemia carriers” will have complete health. But there is a hidden thalassemia gene. And it can be passed on to the unborn child In the case of “thalassemia disease”, symptoms will be obvious, such as pale, yellow eyes, fatigue, swollen abdomen, swollen liver and spleen, which must receive blood monthly . The severity of the disease varies from

  • mild symptoms The body is slightly pale yellow, easily sick, and has jaundice. blood must be given every time he is sick
  • a very serious syndrome Symptoms appear at 3-6 months of age Babies are yellow-eyed, tired, short, shrunken, small and with an enlarged spleen. facial change The forehead rises, the cheekbones are high, the bridge of the nose is flat, and the teeth protrude. If continued treatment is not maintained, death can occur.
  • The most serious group Babies will have oedema, difficulty giving birth, paleness, enlarged liver and spleen, and most will die in utero or after birth. and the mother has a chance of high blood pressure pregnancy and may die

The pregnant mother has thalassemia. will you be with me

Thalassemia is a dangerous disease and it directly affects the pregnant mother. because it can be passed from parents to baby If the parents have thalassemia The chances of having a child with thalassemia are as follows:

  • Both father and mother have thalassemia. The child will be 100% thalassemia.
  • One of the parents has the disease, the other is normal. 100% chance the child will be a carrier
  • Both the father and mother have hidden genes or they carry both. There is a 25% chance of a child having thalassemia, a 50% chance of having a latent or carrier gene, and a 25% chance of having a normal child.
  • The father or mother have a hidden gene or they are the only carrier. There is no chance that the child will get the disease. But the probability that the child will have a hidden gene or will carry the gene is 50%.
  • One parent has the disease and the other has a hidden gene. The probability that the child will get the disease is 50% The probability that the child will have a hidden gene or will be a carrier is 50%.
pregnant

The pregnant mother has thalassemia. Can I prevent my child from getting it?

Although it looks like a disease that causes concern however it can prevent children from thalassemia. The first begins with the choice of pregnancy. Couples should have a blood test to screen them for thalassemia disease or not. to make decisions and plans before having children But if you really want to have children, you need to get a diagnosis from a doctor first. And the next step is to choose to give birth if you know your unborn child has thalassemia. Couples should be consulted to offer options for fertility and safe delivery. who decides which method to choose It depends on the parents after having a detailed explanation from the doctor. including the gestational age at that time

How to test for thalassemia in pregnant women?

Because Thalassemia is a genetic disease. One of the best prevention methods is to have a blood and DNA test before pregnancy. to allow the doctor to assess the risk and severity of infant thalassemia The thalassemia test in pregnant women can be carried out through blood tests as follows:

  • screening (Screening Test) This method is commonly used in general hospitals. The advantage is that it doesn’t cost much. Rapid detection of thalassemia carriers Easy to interpret results But cannot be distinguished as a carrier of any type of Thalassemia.
  • Hemoglobin type test (Haemoglobin Typing) This method is more expensive than the first one. Because it is a test for different types of hemoglobin. This can be done in large hospitals and medical schools. that this type of examination can distinguish which type of thalassemia carrier still requires experts to interpret results and there are limitations in some patients who have two types of hidden thalassemia genes.
  • DNA test (DNA Analysis) is also the most accurate and most expensive blood test method. Testing this method will take some time. but can tell clearly what type of thalassemia What are the chances of risk? Sometimes it can also predict the severity of thalassemia that will occur.

After the diagnosis, it was found that the expectant mother and her husband were at risk of having a child with severe thalassemia. he should consult a doctor In order to know how serious the disease is and how to proceed with treatment

Anyone planning to have children should know this already They should know how to prevent try to observe yourself along with taking the couple’s hand to check for thalassemia lesions first This will help reduce anxiety and be prepared for challenges in the future.

Thanks for information from: medicine.swu.ac.th, chularat3.com, ram-hosp.co.th, thaihealth.or.th, rtcog.or.th

Related matters

Related person

Related places

Related matters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.