The reason why the dead pilot couldn’t let go of the control stick even after shouting “Escape”

The late Major Sim Jeong-min 〈Photo-Courtesy of the Air Force, Yonhap News〉

It was revealed that an F-5 fighter pilot who crashed into a mountain in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province and died on the 11th did not let go of the control stick until the end to avoid a private house.

Today (13th), the Air Force Flight Accident Response Headquarters announced the results of analysis of some flight recorders identified so far and reported the situation at the time of the crash of the late Major Sim Jeong-min.

The plane that crashed is an F-5. It was dropped on the mountain in Jeongnam-myeon, Hwaseong-si, Gyeonggi-do around 1:43 pm on the 11th. At that time, the fighter was taking off from Suwon Air Base.

According to the Air Force, the engine fire warning lights on the left and right turned on while the fighter was ascending after takeoff, and the aircraft plunged. Major Shim expressed his intention to escape by shouting ’emergency escape’ twice.

However, Major Sim did not escape. The Air Force said, “In order to avoid a large number of private houses, the deceased pilot did not try to escape, but held the control stick all the way to the end and is believed to have collided with a hill 100 meters away from a private house.”

In fact, it was reported that the flight automatic recorder contained a situation in which Major Sim was breathing hard without releasing the control stick even when the aircraft was rapidly descending.

At that time, it was reported that there was about 10 seconds of time between Major Sim Shim’s emergency evacuation and the crash. According to the Air Force, that’s enough time for an emergency evacuation. In addition, it was observed that the emergency exit seat of the F-5 aircraft was replaced with a new one, so if the device had been operated, it would have been possible to escape.

However, the Air Force believes that Major Sim turned the control stick toward the mountain to prevent the fighter jet from crashing into a private house, and missed the emergency evacuation time in the meantime.

Major Sim Jeong-min, who was commissioned in 2016 as the 64th Air Force Academy, is 29 years old this year. He was very proud of himself as a fighter pilot, and he often said, “I want to live as a fighter pilot forever.”

The funeral ceremony for Major Sim will be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow at the 10th Fighter Wing of the Air Force.

The funeral ceremony will be held as the commander of the unit in the presence of the bereaved family, fellow pilots and unit soldiers, and the remains will be buried at the Daejeon National Cemetery.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *