What is a female condom and what does it look like? Can it help birth control and prevent sexually transmitted diseases? get to know female condom How to enter and use with advantages-disadvantages
as you know a condom Helps prevent unwanted pregnancy. as well as reducing the risk of sexually transmitted diseases Most of us are more familiar with male condoms which come in the form of a sleeve to be worn on the penis. But because some men refuse to use condoms. cause motivation to createfemale condomcome up as another option to protect yourself from disease andContraceptionsafe, however, in Thailand female condom It is not very popular yet. Because it is hard to find and the price is many times higher than male condoms. Today we would like to invite you to get to know female condoms. of the benefits, how to use it, along with the pros and cons
What is a female condom?
female condom or female condom (Female condom) is a device used for insertion in the female vagina. before starting to have sex The mechanism of the female condom is to trap male sperm. Not transferring into the uterine cavity to fertilize the egg cell and then pregnancy occurs. It was approved by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) in 2003.
Characteristics of female condoms made of polyurethane (Polyurethane) with a length of 6.5 inches or about 15 centimeters long. At the end of the bag on both sides there are rubber rings or 2 elastic rings to make it firm and maintain its shape while is being used. The end of the bag is to be inserted into the vagina. The other end of the bag is open. protruding from the sheath Inside the condom is a lubricant. but no spermicide
Benefits of female condoms
Female condoms can be used as contraception and help prevent sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, AIDS, etc., so it is suitable for the following people:
- Those who want birth control either temporarily or in an emergency and have not taken birth control pills before
- People who are allergic or sensitive to latex condoms. (male condoms)
- Women with the disease or their husbands have sexually transmitted diseases, such as syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis. infected with HIV, etc.
- Women who are already using other forms of birth control but would like to prevent further sexually transmitted diseases, such as injecting contraceptives or previously taking birth control pills
As well as women can use it. The Department of Disease Control also came out to support LGBT people. Use a female condom during anal sex. to prevent sexually transmitted diseases as well
How to put a female condom
The appearance of female condoms can be bulky. making it difficult to wear Let’s look at how to put it on and some tips on how to use it.
- wash your hands Then carefully remove the condom from the envelope. to prevent tearing
- Arrange the pose that is suitable to wear. It is usually used in a supine position with knees bent, squatting position, standing position with legs slightly apart. Standing posture with one leg raised, legs placed on a chair. This is similar to how a tampon is inserted.
- Use your dominant hand to grasp the ring from the outside of the condom. which is located at the bottom of the bag with the thumb held with the middle finger Press together to form a smaller oval. Then slowly insert the condom into the vagina.
- Place your fingers inside the condom and push the condom as close to the cervix as possible. The condom will then relax and expand on its own.
- Check that the condom does not tip over or bend. and the open end of the condom is in the mouth of the genitals
- in the process of removing the female condom After sex is over and the semen is in the bag. Use your finger to grab the outside ring and twist the bag around 3-4 times in total so that the sperm is in the bag and then slowly pull the condom out of the vagina.
when using condoms
- Do not use female and male condoms during sex. because there can be friction to the point of tearing
- Condoms should only be used once and then thrown away. Do not reuse at all. If you want to have sex again You must use a new female condom.
- If the condom is torn The outer ring slides into the clitoris. or the condom gets stuck in the genitals during sex The condom should be thrown away and put on a new one immediately.
- If it is found that the female condom is not working properly Consult your doctor or pharmacist to buy emergency contraceptive pills. to reduce the chance of pregnancy
female condom What are the pros and cons?
I already know about female condoms. But how does this type of condom have advantages and disadvantages over other contraceptive methods?
Benefits of using a female condom
- It can be used as contraception or to prevent pregnancy If used correctly and consistently
- It can help prevent sexually transmitted diseases as well as using male condoms such as syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis B, and AIDS.
- it can be worn during sex without the need to prepare beforehand
- It can be used during menstruation, pregnancy or after birth.
- It protects the surface of the vagina.
- There was no effect on women’s health and fertility. because it is not related to the levels of hormones in the body causing any side effects from hormones usually comes with menstruation
- More durable than male condoms and can be used in conjunction with oil-based lubricating gels
- The female condom can be inserted up to 8 hours before intercourse.
Disadvantages of using a female condom
- There is a high rate of contraceptive failure. if used improperly
- Hard to find and often more expensive than male condoms.
- The insertion process is a bit difficult. it can be difficult for some people
- Preventing direct contact of the male and female genitalia. it can interrupt intercourse This can be corrected by using foreplay or using a condom before intercourse.
- Some people may experience irritation. allergy to condoms or abnormal vaginal discharge
- Using a female condom can cause unwanted noises during sex. This can be solved by applying additional lubricants.
- Condoms are quite durable. But it can tear or slide into the vagina and stay in the vagina. during intercourse
- The friction of the female condom can reduce stimulation in the clitoris or lubrication that occurs within the genitals. This can mean that intercourse is not as satisfying as it should be. But this can be fixed by using lubricant.
How much do female condoms cost?
From the inspection it was found that female condoms The prices start around 150-300 baht. They can be bought from department stores, pharmacies, websites. You should check that the seller is only a legitimate pharmacist or retailer.
thoughfemale condomThere will be many benefits But it may not prevent pregnancy. or sexually transmitted diseases so consideration should be givencontraceptive methodother forms for more protection, however, should understand how to use the female condom correctly And don’t forget to check the expiry date. Tear the envelope before each use.
Thanks for information from: beintheknow.org, webmd.com, fpnsw.org.au, th.wikipedia.org, lovefoundation.or.th