Home » Sports » MLBPA Head Tony Clark Resigns Amid Investigation & Looming Labor Talks

MLBPA Head Tony Clark Resigns Amid Investigation & Looming Labor Talks

by David Thompson - Sports Editor

TAMPA, Fla. – Tony Clark’s tenure as Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association has come to an abrupt end, the union announced Tuesday. The resignation comes at a critical juncture for the MLBPA, with collective bargaining negotiations looming and a federal investigation into the organization’s finances already underway. The circumstances surrounding Clark’s departure reveal a complex situation involving both financial scrutiny and a personal matter.

According to a statement released by the MLBPA, the full executive board of player representatives met Tuesday afternoon to discuss next steps following Clark’s resignation. “As always, the Players remain focused on their ongoing preparations for collective bargaining this year,” the statement read. “The strength of this union is – and will always be – the solidarity of our membership. We have a long history of fighting for the rights of every Player, and we’re committed to making sure One can continue that fight successfully.”

The decision for Clark to step down was prompted by an internal investigation that uncovered an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, who has been a union employee since 2023. This revelation was brought to light during the union’s inquiry, which was initiated in the wake of a broader federal investigation by the Eastern District of New York into the MLBPA’s finances and alleged improprieties, including potential nepotism. A person familiar with the deliberations told the Associated Press that Clark was asked to resign by the eight-man executive subcommittee.

The federal investigation centers on OneTeam Partners, a licensing company founded in 2019 by the MLBPA, the NFL Players Association, and RedBird Capital Partners. The scope of the investigation remains unclear, but it adds another layer of complexity to an already challenging period for the union.

Marcus Semien of the New York Mets, a member of the executive subcommittee, acknowledged the difficult situation. “Many people know that the investigation is ongoing,” Semien said. “I think what happens in the investigation is not, as a subcommittee, particularly surprising, but it still hurts and it’s still something I’m processing.”

As of Tuesday’s meeting, the MLBPA had not named an interim replacement for Clark. Bruce Meyer, the current Deputy Executive Director, will assume the lead negotiator role in upcoming labor talks, a position he previously held during the 2021-22 negotiations. Meyer joined the MLBPA in August 2018 as senior director of collective bargaining and legal, and was promoted to his current role in July 2022.

Semien expressed continued confidence in Meyer’s ability to lead negotiations, suggesting Clark’s departure will allow him to focus on addressing the ongoing investigation. “I think so,” Semien said, “because up until this point, prior to any investigation, I had the utmost confidence in Tony Clark to lead this group of players. I had the utmost confidence in Bruce Meyer to be the lead negotiator for this group of players.”

The timing of Clark’s resignation is particularly sensitive, as the MLBPA is preparing to begin collective bargaining in April for a new agreement to replace the current five-year contract that expires on December 1st. A key point of contention is expected to be the potential implementation of a salary cap, a proposal that could lead to a work stoppage and the cancellation of regular season games – something that hasn’t happened since the 1995 strike.

The MLBPA has retained Adam L. Braverman, a former associate deputy attorney general and U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles, as outside counsel to navigate the legal complexities of both the federal investigation and the internal issues that led to Clark’s resignation.

The union canceled its annual Spring Training camp tour, which was scheduled to begin Tuesday with visits to the Cleveland Guardians and Chicago White Sox, signaling the gravity of the situation and the need to address internal matters before engaging with players in camp.

Clark, 53, brought a unique perspective to the role of Executive Director, having been the first former player to lead the union. A former All-Star first baseman, he played in the major leagues from 1995 to 2009. He joined the MLBPA staff as director of player relations in 2010 and was promoted to deputy executive director in July 2013, ultimately succeeding Michael Weiner as executive director following Weiner’s death in November 2013.

During his tenure, Clark guided the players through two sets of collective bargaining negotiations, resulting in agreements reached in December 2016 and March 2022, the latter following a 99-day lockout. His leadership was marked by a commitment to protecting player rights and navigating the increasingly complex landscape of professional baseball.

The current MLBPA executive subcommittee, in addition to Semien, includes Chris Bassitt, Jake Cronenworth, Pete Fairbanks, Cedric Mullins, Paul Skenes, Tarik Skubal, and Brent Suter. Their collective leadership will be crucial as the union prepares for the upcoming negotiations and addresses the challenges posed by the ongoing investigations.

OneTeam Partners, the licensing company at the center of the federal investigation, has expanded its reach beyond MLB and the NFL, now representing players associations from the WNBA, MLS, NWSL, and the US women’s national soccer team. The company’s ownership structure has also evolved, with RedBird Capital Partners selling its stake in 2019 to HPS Investment Partners, Atlantic Park Strategic Capital Fund, and Morgan Stanley Tactical Value.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.