Home » World » Ukraine-Russia Talks: ‘Difficult’ Discussions Continue, No Breakthrough Yet

Ukraine-Russia Talks: ‘Difficult’ Discussions Continue, No Breakthrough Yet

by Ahmed Hassan - World News Editor

Geneva – The latest round of trilateral talks aimed at securing a peaceful resolution to the conflict in Ukraine concluded abruptly on Wednesday, with both Ukrainian and Russian officials describing the discussions as “difficult” but agreeing to continue negotiations. The talks, involving Ukraine, Russia, and the United States, took place in Geneva, Switzerland, following a previous round in Abu Dhabi that failed to yield a breakthrough.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, speaking to reporters via WhatsApp, acknowledged ’s discussions had made some progress, but emphasized that significant differences remain. “One can see that progress has been made but, for now, positions differ because the negotiations were difficult,” he said. He had earlier accused Russia of attempting to stall the process, stating that Moscow was “trying to drag out negotiations that could already have reached the final stage.”

Rustem Umerov, head of the Ukrainian delegation, described the talks as “intensive and substantive,” noting that both political and military aspects of a potential settlement were discussed, including security parameters and implementation mechanisms. “A number of issues were clarified, while others remained under additional coordination,” he stated.

Russia’s chief negotiator, Vladimir Medinsky, echoed the assessment of difficulty, characterizing the talks as “difficult, but business-like.” He confirmed that further meetings would be scheduled, though no specific date was given. “The next meeting will take place in the near future,” Medinsky told state media.

The United States is reportedly pushing for a resolution to the nearly four-year conflict, with a deadline of for Ukraine and Russia to finalize a peace agreement. According to President Zelenskyy, the Trump administration intends to increase pressure on both sides to reach a deal if this timeline is not met. “The Americans are proposing the parties end the war by the beginning of this summer and will probably put pressure on the parties precisely according to this schedule,” Zelenskyy revealed on Friday, in comments embargoed until .

Washington has proposed hosting the next round of trilateral talks on US soil, potentially in Miami, with Kyiv confirming its participation. This move follows the unsuccessful discussions in Abu Dhabi, which stalled due to “mutually exclusive demands,” primarily concerning territorial concessions.

At the heart of the stalemate remain security guarantees and the status of the Donbas region. Moscow is demanding that Ukraine cede control of parts of Donbas currently held by Ukrainian forces, a condition Kyiv has firmly rejected. Zelenskyy has repeatedly stated that Ukraine is being asked to make disproportionate compromises, and questioned whether Russia is genuinely committed to peace, pointing to continued missile strikes even as negotiations proceed. “What do they want?” he asked, accusing Russia of prioritizing attacks over “real diplomacy.”

The US envoy, Steve Witkoff, representing the Trump administration, asserted that President Trump’s diplomatic efforts have contributed to “meaningful progress” in the bid to end the conflict. “Both parties agreed to update their respective leaders and continue working towards a deal,” Witkoff said via social media.

However, the prospect of a breakthrough remains low. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov had cautioned against expecting significant news from the initial days of talks. This skepticism was underscored by Ukraine’s accusation that Russia launched 29 missiles and 396 drones in attacks overnight into , killing four people and disrupting power supplies in southern Ukraine. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga condemned the attacks as evidence of Russia’s disregard for peace efforts.

Russia, in turn, accused Ukraine of launching over 150 drones overnight, targeting southern regions and the Crimean peninsula, which Moscow annexed in 2014. Russia currently occupies approximately one-fifth of Ukraine’s territory, including Crimea and areas seized by Moscow-backed separatists before the full-scale invasion in .

Beyond the immediate territorial disputes, a separate dispute has emerged involving energy supplies. Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico has threatened to cut emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine if Kyiv does not reopen a pipeline that delivers Russian oil to Slovakia and Hungary. Fico claims the pipeline was shut down after being damaged during a Russian attack, while Ukrainian authorities state repair work has been completed. Fico accused Ukraine of using the pipeline closure as “blackmail” against Hungary, which opposes Ukraine’s EU membership. Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban echoed this accusation. Fico further threatened to withdraw from an electricity supply accord with Ukraine, and has requested the European Union investigate the matter.

The European Commission has stated It’s in contact with all parties involved and is prepared to convene its emergency oil supply coordination group, but maintains there is currently no immediate risk, as Hungary and Slovakia both hold sufficient emergency reserves.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.