For weeks, Chilean singer and television personality María José Quintanilla has been fielding questions about her absence from the Viña del Mar International Song Festival. The omission from the lineup, particularly given her successful and prominent role at Mega, the festival’s organizing network, has been a recurring topic of discussion.
The situation has been complicated by conflicting accounts regarding negotiations. Alex Hernández, a former director of the festival, claimed that attempts were made to secure Quintanilla’s participation last year, but her representative failed to attend a scheduled meeting, leading to a breakdown in talks. “The only thing I can say is that last year we tried to negotiate with her. The brother (her manager) didn’t come to the meeting and there was some kind of disagreement that prevented her from being present,” Hernández stated.
However, Quintanilla’s brother and manager disputed Hernández’s claim, stating they were never contacted. This was echoed by panelist Willy Sabor on the program Hay que decirlo, who reported, “‘We’re not going because they never called us, never.’ That’s what María José Quintanilla’s brother told me, directly.”
Quintanilla Addresses Her Absence
As the festival approaches – kicking off this – Quintanilla was again pressed for comment. Her response, delivered to Plan Perfecto on CHV, was direct. “The concerts I have are not in Viña, they are in other places, there isn’t much more to add,” she said. She emphasized a long-term strategy guiding her professional choices, stating, “I got on this boat a long time ago, you know how planned we are.”
Quintanilla further reflected on the festival itself, viewing it primarily as a musical event. “When I see Viña, I don’t know if I see it as a role, I see it as an artist. I don’t see it as anything else. For me, Viña is music, emotion, identity.”
The singer’s decision appears to be driven by a busy schedule. Reports indicate she has approximately 13 shows already booked between late February and early March – a crucial period for the festival. According to sources, February is her most profitable month, making commitments elsewhere unavoidable. This isn’t a new pattern; she also declined to participate last year due to a prior engagement.
The situation highlights a broader dynamic between Quintanilla and the festival. While her popularity remains high, evidenced by a positive reception at the Teletón, securing her participation has proven challenging. The current impasse isn’t simply about scheduling conflicts; it suggests a more complex relationship with the event’s organization.
Quintanilla indicated that future participation would be viewed as validation of her work. “If the possibility arises to come to Viña, it will be as a boost to our work,” she stated. She also revealed plans for a new album and other surprises throughout the year, suggesting a focus on building momentum independently of the festival.
Karla Constant, speaking on February 9, , expressed her opinion that not including Quintanilla in the festival is “a mistake.”
The singer’s decision underscores a growing trend among established Latin American artists prioritizing strategic career planning over the prestige of performing at Viña del Mar. While the festival remains a significant cultural event, artists are increasingly weighing its benefits against other opportunities and long-term goals. Quintanilla’s case demonstrates that a strong existing schedule and a clear artistic vision can outweigh the allure of the Quinta Vergara stage.
