Home » World » Australia Won’t Repatriate ISIS-Linked Women and Children from Syria

Australia Won’t Repatriate ISIS-Linked Women and Children from Syria

by Ahmed Hassan - World News Editor

Melbourne, Australia – The Australian government has reaffirmed its refusal to repatriate 34 of its citizens – women and children with alleged links to Islamic State (IS) – currently stranded in Syria, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated on Tuesday . The group, comprised of 11 families, had attempted to return to Australia but were turned back by Syrian authorities on Monday due to what officials described as procedural issues.

The incident underscores a growing international dilemma: how to deal with citizens who travelled to join IS and their families, particularly as the territorial caliphate has collapsed. While some nations have begun repatriating their nationals, Australia remains firm in its position, citing security concerns and a lack of sympathy for those who willingly joined the extremist group.

According to camp officials, the women and children had left the Al-Roj detention camp, believing they had the necessary documentation – including temporary Australian passports – to travel to Damascus and then onward to Australia. Rashid Omar, a camp official, told CNN that individuals claiming to represent the families had coordinated with Syrian authorities, presenting what they said were valid Australian passports. However, Damascus reportedly informed the camp that no such coordination had been made, resulting in the group’s return.

Prime Minister Albanese declined to comment on reports regarding the passports, stating he could not “confirm anything about individuals.” He reiterated the government’s stance, emphasizing that We see providing no support for repatriation. “We have no sympathy, frankly, for people who travelled overseas in order to participate in what was an attempt to establish a caliphate to undermine, destroy our way of life,” Albanese told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. He invoked a sentiment echoing his mother’s advice: “If you make your bed, you lie in it.”

The decision comes despite a 2024 Australian Federal Court ruling that found the government did not have a legal obligation to repatriate citizens from Syrian camps. Mat Tinkler, CEO of Save the Children Australia, argued after the ruling that the government retained a moral obligation to bring the families home. Albanese, however, pointed to the court’s decision, suggesting the government had acted within its legal rights.

The issue of Australians who travelled to join IS resurfaced recently following a tragic incident in Bondi Beach, where 15 people were killed in an attack allegedly inspired by the extremist group. This event has intensified scrutiny of the government’s approach to dealing with returning or stranded citizens linked to IS.

Australia has previously repatriated two small groups of citizens from Syrian camps since the fall of IS in 2019, but these were described as the most vulnerable cases. In 2022, four mothers – former partners of IS supporters – and 13 children were brought to Sydney. Prior to that, in 2019, eight children of deceased Australian IS fighters were repatriated under a different government.

The current situation highlights the complex legal and ethical challenges surrounding repatriation. Australian law makes it a crime to travel to areas controlled by IS in Syria, specifically Raqqa, between 2014 and 2017, carrying a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison. Albanese indicated that individuals who manage to return to Australia could face prosecution if they violated this law.

Opposition Leader Angus Taylor has called on Albanese to explain whether the government considered using temporary exclusion orders – which allow a minister to prevent high-risk citizens abroad from returning to Australia for up to two years – in this case. Taylor argued that those who aligned themselves with a terrorist caliphate should not be allowed to return, stating, “The door must be closed to people who do not believe in those things.” Albanese did not directly address the use of exclusion orders, stating that national security matters would be addressed “appropriately following the advice” of security agencies.

The Australian stance contrasts with that of several other nations. The United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Canada have all repatriated citizens from Syrian camps. Iraq has also repatriated the majority of its citizens, who comprised the largest number of detainees after Syrians. Last year saw families with German, British, and French citizenship repatriated from Al-Roj camp.

Meanwhile, the United States military has been transferring suspected IS militants held in detention centers in northeast Syria to Iraq for trial. The fate of those remaining in camps, particularly women and children, continues to be a source of international debate, and concern. Hakmiyeh Ibrahim, the administrator of the Roj camp, stated that relatives of the Australian citizens claimed the Australian government had prepared passports and travel documents for them, suggesting they collect them. This claim has not been independently verified by the Australian government.

The situation underscores the ongoing challenges posed by the legacy of IS, even after its territorial defeat in 2017 and 2019. While the group no longer controls vast swathes of territory, its ideology continues to inspire attacks, and the question of how to deal with its former members and their families remains a pressing issue for governments worldwide.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.