Home » News » Centreville Gas Leak: Homes Evacuated After House Explosion – Updates

Centreville Gas Leak: Homes Evacuated After House Explosion – Updates

by Ahmed Hassan - World News Editor

Centreville, VA – More than 45 homes remain evacuated in Centreville, Virginia, as utility crews work around the clock to pinpoint the source of a natural gas leak that may have caused a devastating home explosion Sunday night. The incident has left residents shaken and facing uncertainty as officials grapple with a complex investigation involving multiple pipelines.

Firefighters responded to the 14300 block of Quail Pond Court shortly before 10 p.m. On Sunday, February 16, 2026, after receiving numerous 911 calls reporting a loud explosion and a house fully engulfed in flames. One resident was able to escape the burning home with minor injuries after jumping from a back deck, according to neighbors.

“He was on his back deck and they told him to just jump, and I think the younger neighbor caught him and helped him get out of the yard safely,” neighbor Natasha Oerter told News4. Both the resident and a neighbor who sustained a minor injury were treated at a local hospital and subsequently released.

The explosion prompted the immediate evacuation of 50 homes on Belle Plains Drive, Buggy Whip Drive, and Quail Pond Court, as firefighters detected “critical levels” of gas in the area. As of Tuesday, February 18, 2026, those homes remained inaccessible to residents.

“You know, it’s been tough. You know, the kids are spooked. We’re shaken a little bit but, you know, just happy that no loss of life right now,” resident Greg Malanga said. His family was among those evacuated.

His wife, Jenna Malanga, described the experience as “extremely” frightening, particularly with a 4-week-old infant and two toddlers to care for. “But like Greg said, no loss of life. We’re very lucky, we’re fortunate to live with amazing people and everyone’s looking out for each other,” she added.

Residents reported smelling natural gas in the neighborhood throughout the weekend leading up to the explosion. The source of the leak remains elusive, complicated by the presence of multiple gas lines running through the area – some owned by Washington Gas, others by the Williams Pipeline Corporation. These lines range in diameter from 2 inches to 42 inches.

At a town hall meeting held Tuesday morning, officials from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and the gas companies provided an update to more than 100 concerned residents. “It’s an active investigation so there’s just not a lot of forthcoming information at this point,” resident Natasha Oerter said, echoing the frustration felt by many.

“We want to know what happened. We want to know how long this is, you know, are we safe. is our home safe?” Oerter questioned.

Fairfax County Fire Assistant Chief of Operations Eric Craven explained that Washington Gas crews are currently digging at multiple sites in an attempt to locate the leak. He emphasized that it is “completely unknown” which line is responsible.

The timeline for residents’ return hinges on identifying the leaking pipe. If the leak is found in a smaller diameter line, officials estimate residents could be allowed back into their homes within a day or two. However, if the leak is located in one of the larger pipelines, the evacuation order could be extended and expanded.

“Worst case scenario, that evacuation radius would extend to a quarter mile of where they believe the leak is,” Craven said, potentially adding another 100 homes to the evacuation zone.

Terri Haynes, who attended the town hall meeting, expressed continued concern, stating she had contacted Washington Gas twice in the past year regarding gas odors. “I am still concerned because I personally have called Washington Gas twice within the last year … so I still don’t feel comfortable,” she said.

More than 80 homes in the area are currently without natural gas service as crews continue their search. Fire officials are continuously monitoring natural gas levels in and around the evacuated homes, reporting that readings are trending downward.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has assumed authority over the investigation and is expected to release a statement Tuesday night. Notably, no representatives from Washington Gas or Williams Pipeline Corporation were present at a news conference held by Fairfax County fire officials Tuesday morning.

This incident follows a similar gas-fed fire that burned a home in the Franconia area on Gladys May Lane on February 1, 2026. Washington Gas has not yet responded to requests for comment regarding that earlier fire and any potential connection to the events in Centreville.

Residents can sign up for text alert updates on the incident through Fairfax County.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.