The claim by Duke University men’s basketball coach Jon Scheyer that a member of his staff was assaulted during a court storming at the University of North Carolina on , is being disputed by Orange County District Attorney Jeff Nieman. Nieman stated on Monday, , that his office has found “zero evidence” to support Scheyer’s allegations of a physical attack.
The incident occurred following UNC’s 71-68 victory over Duke at the Dean Smith Center. Fans rushed the court after Seth Trimble’s go-ahead three-pointer gave the Tar Heels their first lead of the game with just 0.4 seconds remaining. Scheyer initially reported that a staff member had been “punched in the face” and feared for the safety of his family amidst the chaos. He later described the staff member as looking as though he “had been in a complete brawl.”
Nieman’s office initiated a review following Scheyer’s initial statements, recognizing the seriousness of potential violent acts. “Multiple intentional violent acts… were implied or stated [or] accused and that’s something I take very seriously,” Nieman told WRAL News. He emphasized his commitment to prosecuting any confirmed instances of unprovoked violence.
However, after a week-long investigation, Nieman publicly stated that no evidence has surfaced to corroborate Scheyer’s claims. He communicated this finding via a post on X (formerly Twitter) on , and reiterated it on , stating that “what seemed likely is now patently obvious.”
When questioned about Nieman’s comments after Duke’s 101-64 win over Syracuse on Monday night, Scheyer stood by his account. “I would like to focus on Syracuse, but I’ll tell you, I know what I saw and I know what happened with our staff after the game, and that’s the bottom line,” Scheyer said. He added that he would continue to support his staff and declined to elaborate further, stating, “I’m not going to go and circle back or get into… what people want to claim, but I know what happened.”
Nieman acknowledged the intense rivalry between the two universities but asserted that his role as District Attorney requires impartiality. He pointed to his extensive experience prosecuting individuals affiliated with UNC, including faculty, staff, and athletes, as evidence of his objectivity. “I think that when I say I can be loyal to my alma mater and have a favorite as far as the basketball game, that’s completely separate from when I’m analyzing things as a DA,” he stated.
The incident has prompted a review of security protocols at ACC venues. The Atlantic Coast Conference has already imposed a $50,000 fine on UNC for violating its event security policy, a rule implemented prior to the season to address the risks associated with court storming.
Nieman expressed concern about the potential for escalating violence fueled by unsubstantiated accusations. “I’ve seen first-hand how reckless accusations of violence incite more violence,” he said, adding that This proves his responsibility to address such situations. He also suggested that individuals with significant public platforms, such as a major college basketball coach, should exercise greater caution when making public statements with potentially far-reaching consequences. “Someone with the power and influence of a major men’s basketball coach should exercise more discretion before just saying things that have real-world consequences,” Nieman wrote.
The Orange County District Attorney is running unopposed for reelection in 2026, representing Orange and Chatham counties. He is a graduate of both the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the North Carolina Central University School of Law.
