ICE Detentions: Los Angeles Basement Holding
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrests have surged during President Trump's second term, with over 100,000 arrests made this week alone.
- Roybal Federal Building in Los Angeles, numerous undocumented immigrants were detained after arriving for scheduled ICE check-in appointments.
- Lizbeth Mateo, an attorney, reported that several of her clients were detained upon arrival and escorted to the basement.
Immigration and Customs enforcement (ICE) detentions are under scrutiny as reports surface of crowded basement holdings in Los Angeles. This critical report reveals the grim realities faced by undocumented immigrants detained after scheduled check-ins, highlighting concerns over the surge in arrests and the conditions within these makeshift facilities. Lawyers and advocates are raising serious questions about legality and the treatment of families, including those with U.S. citizen children. The primary keyword, ICE detentions, underscores the focus on the issue, while the secondary keyword, Los Angeles basement holding, pinpoints the specific location. News directory 3 uncovers the latest developments in this ongoing crisis. discover what’s next in this evolving story of immigration enforcement.
ICE Immigration Arrests Increase Sharply Under Trump Administration
Updated June 6, 2025
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrests have surged during President Trump’s second term, with over 100,000 arrests made this week alone. This increase reflects an intensified effort too detain unauthorized immigrants in various locations, including courthouses.
This week, at the Edward R. Roybal Federal Building in Los Angeles, numerous undocumented immigrants were detained after arriving for scheduled ICE check-in appointments. According to immigration lawyers, hundreds were held, with dozens confined to basement rooms.
Lizbeth Mateo, an attorney, reported that several of her clients were detained upon arrival and escorted to the basement. One couple,along with their two children (one a U.S.citizen), spent a night in detention with limited access to necessities. The father, despite having a stay of removal, remained in custody early Friday, while his pregnant wife and children were released for medical reasons.
”this is something I’ve never seen before,” mateo said. “Under the first Trump administration, I represented clients with very difficult cases, but never anything like this. Under any other circumstance, he would have been released.”
People waiting outside the building Thursday evening said they were in contact with relatives held in the basement. A woman named Maria said they were reassuring their relatives and ensuring the children had food.
The reasons for holding people in the basement remain unclear, according to immigration lawyers.
“They’re having to literally house these immigrants in a makeshift detention center, which on its face is illegal,” said Juan Proaño, CEO of the League of United Latin American citizens (LULAC). “It is beyond inhumane treatment for any immigrant and in this particular case, you’re talking about families.”
ICE recorded over 2,000 arrests on both Tuesday and Wednesday, a significant jump from the daily average of 660 during Trump’s initial 100 days back in office. during former President Joe Biden’s last year, the daily average was around 300, according to agency data.
these numbers suggest ICE is moving closer to meeting demands from officials like Stephen Miller, who has advocated for a minimum of 3,000 arrests daily.
Proaño asserted that the Trump administration may be overextended. ”The Trump administration
