Israel-Hamas Ceasefire: US Proposal & Response
- Israel has agreed to a US-backed proposal for a temporary ceasefire with Hamas, the White House confirmed Thursday.
- White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Israel "backed and supported" the plan, which follows efforts by US President Donald Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff.
- Hamas stated it received the proposal and is "reviewing it responsibly" to serve its people's interests,provide relief,and achieve a permanent ceasefire in Gaza.
Israel and Hamas are now considering a US-backed ceasefire proposal, a pivotal growth that could bring a temporary halt to the Gaza war and secure the release of hostages. The agreement, backed by the White House and mediated by a US envoy, outlines a potential pause in hostilities, hostage exchanges, and a possible pathway to a lasting ceasefire. Key provisions involve Israeli troop withdrawals, the release of living hostages and bodies in exchange for Palestinian prisoners. Hamas is carefully reviewing the proposal, seeking assurances for a permanent ceasefire and Israeli withdrawal, while Israel aims for complete hostage release. Read on for the full details,brought to you by News Directory 3. Discover what’s next as both sides weigh their options.
Israel, Hamas Consider US-Backed Ceasefire Proposal
Updated May 29, 2025
Israel has agreed to a US-backed proposal for a temporary ceasefire with Hamas, the White House confirmed Thursday. This move could lead to a halt in the Gaza war and the release of more hostages.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Israel “backed and supported” the plan, which follows efforts by US President Donald Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff. Witkoff had earlier expressed optimism about mediating a deal to pause hostilities and secure the return of hostages.
Hamas stated it received the proposal and is “reviewing it responsibly” to serve its people’s interests,provide relief,and achieve a permanent ceasefire in Gaza. Previously, Hamas said it reached a “general framework” agreement with the US envoy, outlining steps toward a lasting ceasefire, including a complete Israeli withdrawal, increased aid, and a handover of governance to a politically autonomous palestinian committee.
Gaza health officials report that more than 54,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, have died since Israel resumed its offensive in March. the October 7 attack by Hamas resulted in 1,200 Israeli deaths and 251 hostages.
Sources familiar with the negotiations say the ceasefire would involve Israeli troops pulling back to earlier positions. It would also allow for the release of 10 living hostages and several bodies in exchange for over 1,100 Palestinian prisoners, including 100 serving long sentences for deadly attacks. The plan also calls for a 60-day halt in fighting and includes assurances that Israel will not resume military operations after the hostages are freed.
Hundreds of aid trucks would be allowed into Gaza daily during the truce, providing a vital lifeline to a population facing famine due to a months-long blockade.
Israeli Prime Minister benjamin Netanyahu has maintained that the war will continue until all hostages are freed and hamas is dismantled or exiled. he also stated Israel will retain long-term control over Gaza and promote the voluntary emigration of a large portion of its population. Though, plans to resettle Gaza’s population have been rejected by Palestinians and the international community, with warnings that such a move could violate international law.
Hamas has stated it will release the remaining hostages onyl in exchange for more Palestinian prisoners,a permanent ceasefire,and a full israeli withdrawal from Gaza. The group has also signaled its willingness to relinquish control to a politically independent Palestinian committee to lead reconstruction efforts. Hamas is still holding 58 hostages, with only a third believed to be alive.
What’s next
The coming days will be critical as Hamas considers the proposal and both sides weigh the potential for a lasting agreement.
