Skip to main content
News Directory 3
  • Home
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Menu
  • Home
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • News
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • World
Kylian Mbappé Booed on Real Madrid Return After Fourth-Choice Striker Claims - News Directory 3

Kylian Mbappé Booed on Real Madrid Return After Fourth-Choice Striker Claims

May 15, 2026 David Thompson Sports
News Context
At a glance
  • Kylian Mbappé has sparked controversy at Real Madrid after claiming that manager Alvaro Arbeloa informed him he had fallen to fourth choice in the team's attacking hierarchy.
  • The tension surfaced following Real Madrid's 2-0 victory over Real Oviedo.
  • Following the game, Mbappé spoke to reporters in the mixed zone.
Original source: bbc.com

Kylian Mbappé has sparked controversy at Real Madrid after claiming that manager Alvaro Arbeloa informed him he had fallen to fourth choice in the team’s attacking hierarchy. The comments follow a match on May 14, 2026, where the French forward was benched and subsequently jeered by supporters at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The tension surfaced following Real Madrid’s 2-0 victory over Real Oviedo. Mbappé, who was returning from injury, did not start the match and appeared as a substitute. Despite the team’s win, the forward’s experience on the pitch was marked by boos from the home crowd.

Following the game, Mbappé spoke to reporters in the mixed zone. In a notable departure from standard club protocol, he addressed the media while wearing street clothes instead of official club gear.

During this interaction, Mbappé expressed frustration over his lack of starts and suggested that his absence from the starting lineup was a tactical choice rather than a result of his physical condition.

Mbappé claimed that he had been told he was behind three other players in the manager’s plans for the attack. Specifically, he named Vinicius Junior, Franco Mastantuono, and youngster Gonzalo Garcia as the players positioned ahead of him.

The forward insisted that he was fully recovered and ready to contribute from the start of the match.

According to reports from Marca, Mbappé told reporters: I’m 100% fine. I haven’t played because the manager told me I’m the fourth-choice striker in the squad behind Mastantuono, Vini, and Gonzalo.

While expressing his frustration, Mbappé maintained a professional stance regarding the manager’s authority, stating that he was ready to start but that the final decision rested with the coach and must be respected.

Manager Alvaro Arbeloa addressed these claims during his post-match press conference on May 14, 2026, firmly rejecting the forward’s interpretation of their conversations.

Arbeloa denied ever telling Mbappé that he was the fourth-choice option, questioning the notion that the squad possesses that many primary strikers.

I wish I had four strikers. I don’t have four strikers, and I certainly didn’t say anything like that to Mbappe. He probably didn’t understand me. I don’t really know what to tell you. I could never have told him he’s the fourth striker.

Alvaro Arbeloa

The public disagreement highlights a growing rift between the star forward and the coaching staff, exacerbated by the negative reaction from the Santiago Bernabeu crowd during Mbappé’s return to action.

The situation remains unresolved as both parties provide conflicting accounts of the communication regarding the team’s attacking rotation and Mbappé’s current standing within the squad.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

Related

Search:

News Directory 3

ByoDirectory is a comprehensive directory of businesses and services across the United States. Find what you need, when you need it.

Quick Links

  • Disclaimer
  • Terms and Conditions
  • About Us
  • Advertising Policy
  • Contact Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Privacy Policy

Browse by State

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado

Connect With Us

© 2026 News Directory 3. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy Terms of Service