L.A. Deputy Excessive Force: Charge Reduced to Misdemeanor
- A federal judge has curtailed a controversial plea deal for Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Trevor Kirk, who was previously convicted of a felony in an excessive force...
- the ruling thwarts a move by newly appointed U.S.
- Despite lessening the charges, Wilson rejected Essayli's recommendation of probation, stating it "did not match the facts of this case." Kirk's sentencing is scheduled for June 2.
A federal judge significantly altered the plea deal for L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputy trevor Kirk,reducing his excessive force charge to a misdemeanor,yet jail time remains a possibility. This critical decision comes after Kirk’s initial felony conviction for the pepper-spraying and assault of Jacey Houseton in 2023. The judge’s move limits the scope sought by U.S. Attorney Bill essayli, whose controversial push for leniency ignited resignations within the U.S. Attorney’s office. The ruling also rejected probation, setting the stage for a sentencing hearing set for June 2. This case highlights key questions around prosecutorial discretion. Explore the case’s implications with News Directory 3.Discover what’s next as the legal battle unfolds.
Judge Limits L.A. Deputy’s Plea Deal in Excessive Force Case
Updated May 28, 2025
A federal judge has curtailed a controversial plea deal for Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Trevor Kirk, who was previously convicted of a felony in an excessive force incident. While U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson allowed the reduction of charges to a misdemeanor, Kirk still faces potential jail time.
the ruling thwarts a move by newly appointed U.S. Attorney Bill Essayli, who sought to offer Kirk a misdemeanor plea deal despite the February conviction for pepper-spraying and assaulting Jacey Houseton at a Lancaster supermarket in 2023. Essayli’s action sparked resignations from several federal prosecutors.
Despite lessening the charges, Wilson rejected Essayli’s recommendation of probation, stating it “did not match the facts of this case.” Kirk’s sentencing is scheduled for June 2.
Tom Yu, Kirk’s defense attorney, expressed satisfaction wiht the reduced charges. “We are vrey pleased to receive the news of the Court granting the motion to reduce this case to a misdemeanor,” Yu said, adding that he would argue for a sentence without jail time.
The original felony conviction stemmed from an incident in June 2023, where Kirk, responding to a reported robbery, threw Houseton to the ground and pepper-sprayed her. Video evidence showed Kirk kneeling on Houseton’s neck during the encounter.
Caree Harper, Houseton’s attorney, called the judge’s decision ”heartbreaking” and “a travesty of justice.”
“There is no integrity anymore,” Harper said. “For the prosecutor to argue against his own attorneys, they put their blood, sweat and tears into this case … they got a felony guilty verdict.”
The proposed plea agreement, which would have capped Kirk’s sentence at one year and recommended probation, triggered turmoil within the U.S. Attorney’s office. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Eli A. Alcaraz, Brian R. Faerstein, Michael J. Morse, and Cassie Palmer resigned following the offer.
What’s next
Kirk’s sentencing on June 2 will determine the extent of his punishment. The case has raised questions about prosecutorial discretion and the role of politics in law enforcement.
