L.A. Street Racing Influencer Faces Prison Time
- Erick romero Quintana, 22, identified by law enforcement as a prominent street racing influencer, has been charged with 16 counts of conspiracy for allegedly organizing street takeovers across...
- Prosecutors allege Quintana ran the Instagram account @privatemeetz, using it to broadcast locations of 16 street takeover events to over 60,000 followers between December 2022 and November 2023.The...
- one of the street racing events resulted in tragedy when a spinning car struck and killed a 24-year-old woman.
Erick Romero Quintana, a prominent street racing influencer, faces prison time after being charged with 16 counts of conspiracy for allegedly organizing illegal street takeovers across Southern California. Prosecutors are cracking down on organizers like Quintana, who utilized the Instagram account @privatemeetz to broadcast locations, attracting thousands to dangerous events, including one that resulted in the death of a 24-year-old woman. news Directory 3 is following the case closely,as it could set a precedent for curbing dangerous street racing. Quintana’s upcoming court appearance and the potential legal ramifications for social media’s role in these events are just the beginning. Discover what’s next in the fight against illegal street racing.
Street Racing Influencer Faces Conspiracy Charges in Takeover Role
Erick romero Quintana, 22, identified by law enforcement as a prominent street racing influencer, has been charged with 16 counts of conspiracy for allegedly organizing street takeovers across Southern California. Quintana pleaded not guilty in Los Angeles County court thursday.
Prosecutors allege Quintana ran the Instagram account @privatemeetz, using it to broadcast locations of 16 street takeover events to over 60,000 followers between December 2022 and November 2023.The criminal complaint states thes events occurred throughout South Los Angeles.
one of the street racing events resulted in tragedy when a spinning car struck and killed a 24-year-old woman. Street racing and takeovers have a history of deadly incidents in Southern California. A prior examination revealed at least 179 fatalities related to street racing between 2000 and 2017.
Unlike customary races, street takeovers involve racers and spectators blocking intersections while drivers perform stunts, frequently enough with little space between the vehicles and the crowd. These stunts include burnouts and dangerous close-proximity skidding.
Sgt. arnold Castellanos of the LAPD’s Street Racing Task force described the prosecution as a necessary step, targeting individuals involved in the racing scene who aren’t drivers. He said street takeovers have evolved, with car clubs competing and acting like gangs, escalating tensions.
“street takeovers have evolved into so much more than just cars doing donuts,” Castellanos said. “Over time ‘car clubs’ have formed,these car clubs ‘compete’ against each other to see who has the better drivers and can ‘bully’ other drivers out of the pit. This has escalated tensions and has resulted in the car clubs acting like gangs.”
Quintana is scheduled to return to court in July. Each conspiracy count carries a minimum sentence of 16 months.
Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman stated the charges against Quintana mark the beginning of a broader effort to control street racing. He noted these events attract large crowds that frequently enough commit secondary crimes, referencing a mob that ransacked a Compton bakery following a takeover last year.
“People like Quintana are the ones bringing together the street racers and the spectators,” Hochman said.”They are as responsible and accountable for the crimes being committed as all the other participants in the conspiracy.”
bart Kaspero, Quintana’s attorney, expressed confusion over the prosecution’s approach. while acknowledging Quintana’s role in posting takeover locations,he emphasized his client did not attend or participate in the events. Kaspero likened the charges to prosecuting someone for distributing flyers to a party where a crime occurred.
“To target the guy who just announced where the meetings are, is a bit of overkill,” Kaspero said.
Kaspero described Quintana as a “car enthusiast” and disputed the characterization of street takeovers as criminal havens. He questioned whether his client should have foreseen negative outcomes from the events he allegedly organized.
“I think it’s safe to say moast people that are there are there for a spectacle,” Kaspero said.
Hochman countered that Quintana could not claim ignorance of the dangers,given he allegedly organized 15 takeovers after the fatal incident in hyde Park.
Castellanos added that Quintana’s Instagram account used coded messages to direct followers to takeover locations, enabling flash-mob style gatherings. He accused individuals like Quintana of exploiting the “carnage” at these events for online clout and monetization.
Castellanos likened the mentality of takeover attendees to the “Grand Theft Auto” video game, where individuals feel untouchable and disregard law enforcement.
What’s next
The case against Quintana could set a precedent for prosecuting organizers of street racing events, possibly impacting the future of Southern California’s car culture and the role of social media in facilitating illegal activities.
