Minnesota Shooting: Suspect Arrested
- A 57-year-old man is in custody in Minnesota, suspected of the murder of state Rep.
- Boelter, armed at the time of his arrest in a rural area west of Minneapolis, surrendered peacefully, according to police.
- Yvette Hoffman said Sunday that she and her husband felt "incredibly lucky to be alive."
Minnesota authorities have arrested Vance Luther Boelter, 57, in connection to the politically motivated assassination of State Rep.Melissa Hortman adn her husband. Governor Tim Walz confirmed the suspect’s apprehension after a two-day manhunt, stressing the incident’s nature as an attack on democracy. Boelter is also accused of shooting and wounding State sen. John Hoffman and his wife, Yvette. A list of potential targets was discovered. Boelter’s alleged role is being investigated. Find more details at News Directory 3.The investigation continues to dissect the political violence, potential motives, and boelter’s involvement. Discover what’s next …
Minnesota Man Arrested in Politically Motivated Assassination
Updated June 16, 2025
A 57-year-old man is in custody in Minnesota, suspected of the murder of state Rep. melissa Hortman,a Democrat,and her husband,Mark. Vance Luther Boelter was apprehended Sunday night after a two-day manhunt. Gov. Tim Walz described the killings as a “politically motivated assassination.”
Boelter, armed at the time of his arrest in a rural area west of Minneapolis, surrendered peacefully, according to police. He is also accused of shooting and wounding Democratic State Sen. John Hoffman and his wife, Yvette. Both are hospitalized and awake.
Yvette Hoffman said Sunday that she and her husband felt “incredibly lucky to be alive.”
Boelter’s arrest followed the finding of a vehicle he allegedly used in Sibley County, roughly 50 miles from the Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, crime scene. The arrest involved air support and SWAT teams in what authorities called the largest manhunt in Minnesota’s history. No officers were injured during the apprehension,and officials stated they are not seeking additional suspects.
Boelter is accused of impersonating a police officer during the attacks Saturday, exchanging gunfire with officers before fleeing the suburban Minneapolis area.
Hortman served in the Minnesota House for 20 years, holding the speaker’s position from 2019 to 2025. Boelter, a former political appointee, previously served on the same state workforce development board as hoffman. His online resume lists him as a security contractor and religious missionary with experiance in Africa and the Middle East.Photos on Facebook show Boelter preaching as a pastor in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Investigators found a list of potential “targets” in the vehicle Boelter allegedly used, according to reports.While Drew Evans, superintendent of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, declined to label the notebook a “manifesto,” local media outlets reported that the list included Gov. Walz, U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, and Minnesota attorney General Keith Ellison.
Evans said at a press conference that officials contacted authorities in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, and Iowa to notify individuals on the list.
What’s next
The investigation is ongoing, and Boelter faces multiple charges related to the politically motivated assassination and attempted role in further violence. Authorities are examining the political violence and potential motives behind the attacks.
