Home » World » Ukraine-Russia Talks Stall in Geneva: No Breakthrough as War Enters Fifth Year

Ukraine-Russia Talks Stall in Geneva: No Breakthrough as War Enters Fifth Year

by Ahmed Hassan - World News Editor

Geneva – The latest round of US-mediated peace talks between Russia and Ukraine concluded in Geneva on Wednesday without a significant breakthrough, as fighting continues in a conflict poised to enter its fifth year next week. The outcome underscores the deep divisions that remain between the two sides, despite intensifying diplomatic efforts.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated that no agreement had been reached on the most contentious issues during the negotiations in Switzerland, accusing Moscow of attempting to prolong the process. “We can see that some groundwork has been done, but for now the positions differ, because the negotiations were not easy,” he told reporters following the talks.

Zelenskyy identified the status of Russian-occupied territories in eastern Ukraine and the future of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, currently under Moscow’s control, as key unresolved issues. Discussions, he added, had progressed along both military and political tracks, with the military channel proving “constructive” in outlining potential ceasefire implementation. “The military understand how to monitor a ceasefire and the end of the war if there is political will,” Zelenskyy said.

The second day of talks concluded after just two hours, signaling limited progress and highlighting the considerable distance remaining before a comprehensive peace agreement can be reached. This outcome casts a shadow over promises made by the administration of US President Donald Trump to swiftly end the war.

Russia’s chief negotiator, Vladimir Medinsky, described the Geneva discussions as “difficult but businesslike” upon leaving, indicating that further rounds of talks are planned. Medinsky, known for his hardline stance and unpopularity in Ukraine, stated that new discussions would follow shortly.

The core obstacle to progress remains the fate of Ukrainian territory in the east, with Moscow demanding its full cession as a precondition for halting hostilities. Kyiv has consistently rejected this demand, although Zelenskyy has indicated a willingness to explore alternative arrangements, including potential Ukrainian troop withdrawals from certain areas and the establishment of a demilitarized zone.

Zelenskyy recently stressed the domestic political constraints surrounding any territorial concessions. Speaking to Axios, he warned that the Ukrainian public would not accept a peace deal requiring a unilateral withdrawal from the Donbas region. “Emotionally, people will never forgive this. Never. They will not forgive … me, they will not forgive [the US],” he said.

Security guarantees also remain a critical point of contention, with Zelenskyy repeatedly emphasizing that any territorial compromise must be accompanied by firm commitments from Western allies, including the United States. However, the Trump administration has been pushing Kyiv to prioritize territorial concessions, with security guarantees offered as a subsequent step.

Zelenskyy highlighted this sequencing discrepancy earlier this week, stating on X: “Our American friends, they are preparing security guarantees. But they said – first this swap of territories, or something like that, and then security guarantees. I think – first, security guarantees. Second, we will not give up our territories because we are ready for compromise.”

European leaders have suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin is unlikely to make substantial concessions unless faced with deteriorating conditions on the battlefield or within Russia itself. While Moscow’s economy has experienced a slowdown, analysts believe the current pressure is insufficient to alter the Kremlin’s course.

Recent Western intelligence assessments indicate that Russia is facing increasing challenges in recruiting troops for the war. Russian forces have made limited territorial gains this year, while Ukrainian troops have launched localized counteroffensives in the southern Zaporizhzhia region.

Russian political analyst Tatiana Stanovaya observed, “As long as Putin is in power, Russia isn’t paralysed by widespread protests, and there is at least some money left in the budget for weapons, the war will continue.” This assessment suggests that a resolution to the conflict remains contingent on internal dynamics within Russia, as much as on negotiations between Kyiv and Moscow.

The stalled talks in Geneva underscore the complexities of achieving a lasting peace in Ukraine. While diplomatic efforts continue, the prospect of a swift resolution appears increasingly remote, with both sides entrenched in their positions and external actors pursuing divergent strategies. The conflict, now entering its fifth year, continues to exact a heavy toll on both Ukraine and Russia, with no clear end in sight.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.