US-Iran Negotiations Resume in Pakistan as Trump Confirms Iran’s Proposal Meets US Demands – Live Updates on War, Diplomacy, and Potential Escalation
- President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that the United States will extend its ceasefire with Iran at the request of Pakistan, allowing Iranian officials more time to present...
- The extension was announced just hours before the ceasefire was set to expire, though Trump did not specify how long the extension would last.
- Trump made the announcement via Truth Social, citing the fractured nature of Iran's government and the request from Pakistani leaders, including Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister...
President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that the United States will extend its ceasefire with Iran at the request of Pakistan, allowing Iranian officials more time to present a unified proposal in ongoing negotiations.
The extension was announced just hours before the ceasefire was set to expire, though Trump did not specify how long the extension would last. He emphasized that the U.S. Military would maintain the blockade on Iranian ports and remain ready to act if necessary.
Trump made the announcement via Truth Social, citing the fractured nature of Iran’s government and the request from Pakistani leaders, including Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, to delay any attack on Iran to allow for diplomatic progress.
The decision comes ahead of planned talks in Islamabad, where U.S. Envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner are scheduled to meet with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Pakistani officials confirmed Araghchi arrived in Islamabad on Friday evening for the expected negotiations.
According to U.S. Officials, the goal of the talks is to hear a peace plan from Iranian intermediaries through Pakistan, which has been facilitating communication between the two sides. The White House said it is ready to consider any proposal aimed at de-escalating tensions.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth warned that if Iran fails to reach a deal, its economy could collapse under the sustained pressure of the U.S. Naval blockade, which will remain in place “as long as it takes.” He urged Tehran to “choose wisely” in the negotiations.
Meanwhile, Israel launched new airstrikes in Lebanon on Friday, and a senior Hezbollah lawmaker said the group firmly rejects the three-week extension of the Israel-Lebanon ceasefire that Trump announced earlier in the week, indicating regional tensions remain high despite the U.S.-Iran diplomatic efforts.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif thanked Trump on X for the ceasefire extension, stating that Pakistan would continue its efforts to support a negotiated settlement. An adviser to Iran’s Parliamentary Speaker criticized the move, saying the extension meant nothing because “the losing side cannot dictate terms.”
The ceasefire extension reflects the fragile state of diplomacy, with U.S. Officials acknowledging that direct talks remain uncertain but expressing willingness to engage through Pakistani intermediaries. The situation remains fluid, with military preparations continuing alongside diplomatic outreach.
