US-Iran Conflict Imminent, Multi-Week Campaign Possible
A military confrontation between the United States and Iran could erupt within days, potentially escalating into an intensive, multi-week campaign, sources warned Wednesday, even as diplomatic talks continue between Washington and Tehran.
Former IDF Military Intelligence chief Amos Yadlin suggested the situation is rapidly deteriorating. “Last week I allowed myself to fly to the Munich Security Conference. I would think twice about flying [abroad from Israel] this weekend,” Yadlin told Channel 12 news, following a second round of nuclear talks held in Geneva.
“We are much closer than we were before, but I remind you — a superpower does not go to war in a matter of days. There is a diplomatic path that must be exhausted,” Yadlin cautioned, adding that opposition to military action exists within the Pentagon and that President Trump appears determined to pursue all options. He noted the credible military threat is accompanied by preparations both off the coast of Iran and in the skies.
Sources speaking to Axios reported Wednesday that a potential US-Iran war would likely be a prolonged, multi-week operation. A White House official estimated the probability of a strike in the coming weeks at 90 percent.
The conflict would likely involve a joint US-Israeli operation, potentially larger in scale than the 12-day Israeli-led bombing campaign that occurred last June. That earlier incident involved Iranian missiles killing 32 people and wounding over 3,000 in Israel.
A Trump advisor indicated the President “is getting fed up,” and while acknowledging warnings against military action, believes a strike is highly probable in the next few weeks.
Israeli officials also suggest an imminent escalation. Two sources stated Israel is preparing for war “within days,” and is pushing for an operation aimed at toppling the current regime. Boaz Bismuth, chairman of the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, described the current period as “challenging,” following a briefing from the IDF Home Front Command.
“There is no citizen of Israel who doesn’t ask himself several times a day ‘when will the Iran conflict happen?’” Bismuth said. “The public is prepared and the authorities are prepared. We in the Knesset are also ensuring that the home front is prepared for every scenario.”
Following talks in Geneva on Tuesday, Iran stated that both sides had agreed on “guiding principles” for a deal to avoid conflict. However, US Vice President JD Vance countered that Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington’s red lines.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright emphasized Wednesday that the United States is determined to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, stating that Iranian intentions regarding such weapons are “entirely unacceptable.”
“So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran’s march towards a nuclear weapon,” Wright said.
Adding to the heightened tensions, open-source flight tracking data revealed the US military moved dozens of fighter jets – including F-22, F-35 and F-16 models – toward the Middle East in a single day. Several refueling aircraft were also observed moving in the region.

Meanwhile, Iran announced Wednesday that it will conduct naval maneuvers with Russia in the Sea of Oman on Thursday. Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo, the drill spokesman, stated the exercise aims to strengthen maritime security and deepen relations between the two navies. Iran also announced Tuesday it would partially close the Strait of Hormuz for a few hours during its drills for “security” reasons.
