Home » World » Prince Andrew Arrested: UK Royal Faces New Probe Over Public Office Misconduct

Prince Andrew Arrested: UK Royal Faces New Probe Over Public Office Misconduct

by Ahmed Hassan - World News Editor

London, United Kingdom – Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former Prince Andrew, Duke of York, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, Thames Valley Police confirmed. The arrest, which occurred on his 66th birthday, follows an ongoing investigation into allegations of improper dealings during his time as a trade envoy.

The arrest took place at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with police simultaneously conducting searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. A statement from Thames Valley Police indicated that the man, in his 60s, remains in custody. “We are not revealing the name of the man arrested, in line with national guidelines. Please also remember that This represents a live investigation, so we are limited in what we can say,” the statement read.

The investigation centers on claims that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential material with the late Jeffrey Epstein, a convicted sex offender. The allegations surfaced following the release of documents from the so-called “Epstein files” by the US Department of Justice. Specifically, scrutiny has focused on a document reportedly sent by Mountbatten-Windsor to Epstein in 2010, detailing “high value commercial opportunities” in Afghanistan while he was serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

King Charles III responded to the news of his brother’s arrest with a statement emphasizing the importance of due process. “I am deeply concerned by this news,” the King said. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have my full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me make it clear, the law must take its course.” The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to support the King’s statement.

This marks the first time Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested. He has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing in connection with Epstein. The investigation was formally opened following a “thorough assessment” by Thames Valley Police, building on previous inquiries into his association with Epstein.

The arrest comes after former Prime Minister Gordon Brown submitted a five-page letter to several UK police forces, including the Metropolitan Police, Sussex Police, and Thames Valley Police, providing additional information from the Epstein files. Brown stated that the information was submitted to “secure justice for trafficked girls and women.” He had previously submitted information to the forces last week expressing similar concerns.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal duties and military affiliations in 2019 following widespread public outcry over his friendship with Epstein and allegations made by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexual assault. He settled a civil lawsuit with Giuffre in 2022, though the terms of the settlement remain confidential. He subsequently stepped down from his role as a working royal.

The current investigation is not related to allegations of sexual offences, according to police. However, it adds to a long history of controversy surrounding Mountbatten-Windsor’s relationship with Epstein, a relationship that has severely damaged the reputation of the British monarchy.

The focus of the current inquiry is specifically on the alleged misconduct in public office, relating to the potential misuse of his position as a trade envoy. The sharing of confidential information with a convicted sex offender raises serious questions about judgment and security protocols.

Police activity was observed at Royal Lodge, Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home in Windsor Great Park, with uniformed officers seen beyond the gates. The former prince has been residing at Sandringham Estate since leaving Royal Lodge.

The arrest of Prince Andrew represents a significant moment for the British monarchy, already navigating a period of transition following the death of Queen Elizabeth II. The outcome of the investigation and any subsequent legal proceedings will likely have lasting implications for the royal family and its public image.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.