Eight Dead by Landmine in Nigeria
- MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — A landmine explosion struck a passenger bus in northeastern Nigeria's borno state on Saturday, killing at least eight people, officials said.
- The blast occurred on a road frequently targeted wiht landmines, believed too be planted by the Boko Haram terror group.
- Babagana Zulum stated that in addition to the fatalities, 7 people are in critical condition and receiving intensive care in a state hospital.
Deadly Landmine Blast Hits Bus in Northeastern Nigeria
Table of Contents
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — A landmine explosion struck a passenger bus in northeastern Nigeria’s borno state on Saturday, killing at least eight people, officials said.
Borno State Bus Attack
The blast occurred on a road frequently targeted wiht landmines, believed too be planted by the Boko Haram terror group. Borno state has been a hotbed of Boko Haram activity for over a decade.
Gov. Babagana Zulum stated that in addition to the fatalities, 7 people are in critical condition and receiving intensive care in a state hospital. Another 14 sustained minor injuries.
Investigation Underway
Local police are investigating the incident, according to a statement.A witness told Reuters that soldiers were dispatched to the scene immediately following the explosion.
ongoing Threat of Landmines
Landmines pose a persistent threat in the region. Boko Haram has been known to conduct regular attacks targeting both security forces and civilians.
In a similar incident last year, at least 7 Nigerian soldiers were killed when a landmine detonated on a highway in the same area.
## Deadly Landmine Blast in Nigeria: Your Questions Answered
This article provides data about a deadly landmine explosion that struck a passenger bus in northeastern nigeria. We’ll delve into teh details of the incident,the ongoing threat of landmines,and the response from authorities.
### What Happened in Northeastern Nigeria?
A landmine explosion struck a passenger bus in Borno state, northeastern Nigeria, on Saturday. This tragic event resulted in multiple fatalities and injuries.
### Where Did This Incident Occur?
The explosion occurred in Borno State, a region in northeastern Nigeria that has been a hotbed of activity for the Boko Haram terror group for over a decade. The incident took place on a road that is frequently targeted with landmines.
### How Many Peopel Were Killed and Injured?
According to officials, at least eight people were killed in the blast. In addition to the fatalities, seven people are in critical condition and receiving intensive care at a state hospital. Another fourteen people sustained minor injuries.
### Who is Believed to Be responsible for the Blast?
the landmines are believed to have been planted by the Boko Haram terror group. The area has seen a notable amount of activity from this group over the past decade.
### What Actions Are Being Taken Following the Explosion?
Local police are investigating the incident.Soldiers were dispatched to the scene instantly following the explosion, according to a witness.
### What is the Ongoing Threat of Landmines in the Region?
Landmines pose a persistent threat in northeastern Nigeria. Boko Haram has been known to conduct regular attacks targeting both security forces and civilians.This incident is sadly a stark reminder of that threat.
### Have There Been Other Similar Incidents in the Area?
Yes. in the same area where this recent tragedy took place,at least 7 Nigerian soldiers were killed last year when a landmine detonated on a highway.
### Key Facts Summarized:
Here’s a summary of the key details:
| event | Details |
|---|---|
| Incident | Landmine explosion targeting a passenger bus. |
| Location | Borno State, Northeastern Nigeria. |
| Casualties | at least 8 killed, 7 critically injured, 14 with minor injuries. |
| Suspected Culprit | Boko Haram. |
| Other Incidents | Similar incident last year killed at least 7 soldiers. |
