F1 Teams Expect Mid-October Decision on Qatar and Abu Dhabi Races
- Formula 1 teams face a mid-October deadline to learn whether the final two races of the season in Qatar and Abu Dhabi will proceed as scheduled, grandprix.com reported.
- Both the Qatar Grand Prix, scheduled for November 27 to 29, and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, set for December 4 to 6, remain on the published calendar...
- Formula 1 maintains a backup plan to stage a replacement event at Imola if the Gulf races cannot go ahead.
Formula 1 teams face a mid-October deadline to learn whether the final two races of the season in Qatar and Abu Dhabi will proceed as scheduled, grandprix.com reported. The ongoing conflict in Iran previously forced the cancellation of events in nearby Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, leaving the concluding rounds of the 2026 championship in jeopardy.
Teams Demand Clarity on Gulf Schedule
Both the Qatar Grand Prix, scheduled for November 27 to 29, and the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, set for December 4 to 6, remain on the published calendar without official cancellations. Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali previously indicated that a decision regarding the flyaway double-header would arrive by mid-September, but teams stated that the timeline has shifted toward the middle of October. Haas team principal Ayao Komatsu noted at a press conference in Azerbaijan that Domenicali was targeting an announcement around that time, while Audi team principal Mattia Binotto confirmed following an F1 Commission discussion that mid-October marks the final call for preparations.
Imola Contingency Logistics and Challenges
Formula 1 maintains a backup plan to stage a replacement event at Imola if the Gulf races cannot go ahead. Komatsu outlined the operational hurdles associated with a late switch to Europe, explaining that teams would need to reorganize their European motorhome structures and secure alternative staff for winter assignments.
I believe that Imola is getting ready in case we have to do it. I think the challenges are, for instance, things like European motorhome structure, etcetera. All those people who look after them, they have a winter job, so we need to find alternative people to do that.
racefans.net
Binotto addressed concerns regarding December weather conditions at the Italian circuit, stating that the average temperature in Imola during that period is comparable to or warmer than other venues the sport visits. Both team principals emphasized that organization and logistics present the primary obstacles rather than track temperatures.
Mid-October Decision Point for Championship Finish
While teams prefer to travel to Qatar and Abu Dhabi as originally planned, the impending mid-October deadline dictates when logistics must pivot toward an alternative European finale. No official replacement event has been announced, leaving the championship waiting for confirmation as the scheduled November dates approach.

