Jakarta Residents Take Padel Court Noise Dispute to Court
Residents of Pulomas, East Jakarta, are escalating their complaints about noise and traffic congestion stemming from a nearby padel court, taking their case to the Jakarta State Administrative Court (PTUN). The dispute centers on allegations that the facility, constructed on the site of two demolished homes in June 2024, is operating commercially despite initial assurances it would be for private use.
Mutia, a 45-year-old resident, explained that the community initially had no objections to the construction, believing it would be a private tennis court. “At first, we thought it was for a private tennis court, because the owner’s house is behind there. So, we didn’t mind. But then, at the end of October, it started getting busy, with flower arrangements and lots of cars. That’s when we found out it was commercial,” she said.
The padel court reportedly operates from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily, with two courts in constant use. Residents estimate that over 100 vehicles access the facility each day, exacerbating traffic issues on the single access road serving the neighborhood. “Imagine, 16 hours of operation, two courts. More than 100 cars enter and exit each day. We all use the same entrance, everyone has to pass in front of our houses,” Mutia stated.
Residents have attempted mediation with the padel court’s management, requesting reduced operating hours, soundproofing measures, and restrictions on parking within the residential complex. However, they claim these requests have largely gone unheeded. “We just asked for reduced hours, to make it more soundproof so it’s not noisy, and for parking outside the gate. But there hasn’t been any significant change so far,” Mutia said.
Beyond the noise from gameplay, residents have also expressed concerns about events held at the facility that extend late into the night. They allege unauthorized activities, including bazaars and vehicle testing, have taken place on the premises without community consultation. “This is a residential area. Children play, people come and go. Suddenly it’s crowded, cars are speeding. We just want to live peacefully in our own homes,” Mutia explained.
The community has lodged complaints with local authorities, ranging from neighborhood officials to city agencies, but has seen limited progress. Frustrated with the lack of resolution, residents ultimately filed a lawsuit with the PTUN.
Residents also reported inconsistencies in the permitting process. They initially received information through the JAKI application indicating that the facility lacked the necessary Building Permit (PBG) and Business Identification Number (NIB). However, this information was later retracted, with authorities claiming the permits were in order. “We initially received a response saying that PBG and NIB permits were not found. But two days later, we were told that the permits existed. We became confused,” Mutia said.
Upon obtaining copies of the permit documents, residents discovered discrepancies between the building’s size as stated in the permits and its actual dimensions on the ground. This discrepancy has further fueled their concerns. They have sought clarification from various government offices and appealed to the Jakarta Regional House of Representatives (DPRD) and the Ombudsman, but have yet to receive a satisfactory response.
“We have mediated several times. Our hope is for action in accordance with the rules, not just more mediation,” Mutia concluded.
Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung announced on February 19, 2026, that he would convene all stakeholders to address complaints regarding noise and alleged permit violations at padel courts across the city. He emphasized that operational permits would be thoroughly reviewed and that businesses found violating regulations would face strict action. Governor Anung stated he would invite stakeholders specifically related to padel permits next week, according to reports from .
The owner of the Haji Nawi padel court, PT Kreasi Arena Indonesia (Fourthwall Padel), has offered to limit operating hours and install soundproofing in response to resident complaints, according to a report from . The facility plans to operate from 2:00 PM to 7:00 PM during Ramadan and will install sound dampening materials within 35 days.
Governor Pramono Anung also indicated on , that the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government would not hesitate to take firm action against padel fields that disrupt public order, lack resident approval, or do not have complete permits.
