U.S. Military Buildup Intensifies as Iran Nuclear Deal Prospects Narrow
Fresh from the conflict with Venezuela last month, the USS Gerald R. Ford — America’s newest and largest aircraft carrier — is speeding through the Mediterranean and toward a potential war with Iran. Another aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln is already deployed to the Middle East. The military pressure campaign, which could allow the U.S. To begin sustained attacks in a matter of days, is part of the Trump administration’s multipronged effort to pressure Iran to cease a nuclear program.
America’s latest military moves come as Trump’s two main envoys, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, have engaged in indirect talks with Iranian diplomats in Geneva. The talks are taking place even though Trump previously stated no agreement with Iran was necessary, saying, “I don’t care if I have an agreement or not,” and that he “could get a statement that they’re not going to go nuclear.”
Trump reversed himself late last month, imploring Iran to “quickly ‘Come to the Table’” or face more strikes. On Thursday, at a gathering of his Board of Peace in Washington, Trump reiterated his call for a deal. “Now is the time for Iran to join us on a path that will complete what we’re doing,” he said. “If it doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. But bad things will happen if it doesn’t.”
“A massive Armada is heading to Iran,” Trump announced on Truth Social.
The United States has spent weeks moving military assets into place for a potential resumption of conflict with Iran. The Ford alone can carry more than 75 aircraft, including F-35 Lightning II stealth fighters and F/A-18 Super Hornets, as well as EA-18 Growler radar-jamming jets. The Lincoln is accompanied by three warships equipped with Tomahawk missiles, which were used to strike two of Iran’s nuclear facilities last year. In addition to destroyers, cruisers, and submarines, the U.S. Has moved additional air assets across the Atlantic including a U-2 Dragon Lady spy plane, dozens of refueling tankers, scores of additional fighter jets, and E-3 Sentry Airborne Warning and Control System jets.
The massive accumulation of military forces dwarfs even the build-up that preceded the U.S. Intervention in Venezuela.
Three U.S. Officials with long experience in the Middle East reportedly do not believe Trump has made a final decision to launch a new attack on Iran but the chances of it are high. All said that U.S. Attacks could destabilize the Iranian regime, spur a humanitarian crisis, and have major impacts across the region. They also reportedly believe the Trump administration has only vague plans to deal with such consequences.
All three officials believed sufficient military assets were in place for a sustained military campaign. One official suggested that Tehran may see the second major U.S. Attack in a year as an existential crisis and respond with a more formidable counterattack than its previous strikes on Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar.
Over the past month, the U.S. Military has moved critical air defense equipment — including Patriot missile batteries and THAAD systems — to the region to protect U.S. Troops and allies from Iranian ballistic missiles.
Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., said he believes reports that Trump administration officials think there’s a 90 percent chance the president will order strikes on Iran. He said that such a war would be “catastrophic” and lead to counterattacks that put U.S. Troops in the region at risk.
Iran has repeatedly warned of retaliatory strikes on U.S. Troops and allies in response to any American attack. Iran shut down the Strait of Hormuz earlier this week to conduct military exercises.
Khanna announced on Thursday that he and Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., would attempt to force a vote on a war powers resolution regarding Iran next week. Khanna believes they can force the vote before Trump attacks Iran, but one government official expressed concern that strikes could come as early as Sunday or Monday. Another speculated that Trump might be convinced not to conduct an attack during Ramadan — the Muslim holy month that began Wednesday — or at least wait for a “decent interval” in deference to other U.S. Allies in the Middle East.
Trump is also delivering his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday, with a reported focus on domestic issues ahead of fall midterm elections, which may impact his decision. The conclusion of the Winter Olympics on Sunday might also play a role in the timing of any attacks, given the tradition of an Olympic truce.
The White House did not reply to a request for comment.
Trump, who ran for office promising to keep the United States out of wars and campaigned for a Nobel Peace Prize, has launched attacks on Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, and Yemen during his second term. The Trump administration also claims to be at war with at least 24 cartels and criminal gangs it will not name and has also threatened Colombia, Cuba, Greenland, Iceland, and Mexico.
