Prince Harry And Meghan Plan Move Back To Britain
Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are planning an extended move back to Britain with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, six years after stepping down as senior working royals and relocating to North America, according to reports confirmed by the Associated Press and The Guardian. The family expects to relocate to a private, non-royal residence outside London, with their children enrolled to start British classes in September.
Relocation Details and Family Status in Britain
The family plans to live in a private home outside of London while maintaining their residences in Montecito, California, and a Portuguese property in Costa Terra, according to a person close to the Sussexes cited by the Associated Press. The couple will not resume working royal duties, upholding the firm boundary established by the late Queen Elizabeth II during the 2020 Sandringham summit where the “half-in, half-out” model was rejected.
Meghan will continue operating her enterprise, As Ever, which sells high-priced jams, tea, and wine, from the United Kingdom, while Harry intends to dedicate more time to his British-based charities, according to sources close to the family. Jennie Bond, a former BBC royal correspondent, told Sky News that the move may represent a significant compromise, noting uncertainty about whether living in the U.K. matches Meghan’s personal preferences.
Royal Reactions and the Long-Standing Family Rift

King Charles III was informed of the relocation plans on a Sunday, according to British media reports cited by the Associated Press. The notification followed a recent family reunion at Highgrove House, a country estate west of London, where Harry, Meghan, and their children spent time with Charles and Queen Camilla. That visit marked the first time the children had seen their grandfather since the late Queen Elizabeth II’s platinum jubilee in 2022.
Relations with Prince William remain strained following public criticisms aired by the couple after their departure from the United Kingdom. Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, told the PA news agency that William is likely to be displeased by the return, noting that the presence of the Sussexes in the U.K. revives the prospect of two rival courts and complicates efforts to avoid a reconciliation.
Security Arrangements and Past Legal Challenges
Questions regarding security arrangements remain unresolved following the move. Prince Harry previously stated that he could not see a world in which he would bring his family back to the U.K. without police protection, following a legal challenge he lost in May 2025 regarding the removal of his taxpayer-funded security detail.
The UK government maintains that decisions on protective security are handled by the executive committee for the protection of royalty and public figures, drawing on expert risk assessments. A Home Office spokesperson stated on Wednesday night that protective security policies are rigorous and proportionate, and that detailed arrangements are not disclosed to maintain integrity and safety.
