Sofia Nears Completion of Key Boulevard, Addressing Decades-Long Traffic Issues
Construction crews have begun demolishing a building that blocked the completion of Todor Kableshkov Boulevard in Sofia, Bulgaria, signaling a major step forward in a project intended to alleviate traffic congestion and connect key areas of the city. The demolition began on February 16, 2026, following a recent court decision removing the final legal obstacle to finishing the boulevard, according to a briefing held by Deputy Mayor Nikola Lyutov and Triaditsa District Mayor Dimitar Bozhilov.
Construction activities on the final 80 meters of the boulevard commenced immediately after the Administrative Court of Sofia removed the last impediment to its completion. “After completion, we will be able to see the boulevard in a finished form – with replaced gas and water pipelines, new lighting, and, most importantly, we will complete one of the most important city ring roads,” Lyutov stated.
The project has been hampered by legal challenges from the property owner, who exercised their right to appeal each step of the expropriation process, a process that spanned approximately three years. A previous expropriation decision was overturned by the court due to the expiration of the ten-year timeframe allowed for completion of the procedure under Bulgarian law. However, a recent ruling on January 28th granted the Sofia Municipality the authority to proceed with the expropriation and initiate construction.
Lyutov emphasized the strategic importance of the boulevard, stating it is “one of the most important infrastructure projects of the Municipality.” He anticipates the completion of the repairs within approximately 70 days, weather permitting. “We have an open construction site, and we believe that in about two and a half months, barring any unfavorable weather conditions, we should be able to complete the repairs,” he said.
The completion of Todor Kableshkov Boulevard is a crucial component of Sofia’s Third City Ring, a long-planned infrastructure project designed to improve traffic flow in the southern districts of the capital. The boulevard is currently 95% complete, connecting to Philip Kutev Boulevard.
Mayor of Sofia, Vasil Terziev, highlighted the significance of the project in a Facebook post, stating that its realization became possible after the Administrative Court of Sofia-City authorized the preliminary execution of the expropriation order for the private property that had been obstructing construction.
Lyutov noted that Sofia faces a chronic problem with infrastructure projects delayed by lengthy expropriation procedures. He indicated that numerous properties throughout the city are causing similar bottlenecks. “There are many such properties in Sofia that delay construction. This is a chronic problem for the capital,” he said.
Bozhilov added that the project is trans-district, impacting not only Triaditsa but also Lozenez and Krasno Selo, and is planned to accommodate a tram line in the future. “So I think the need for this so-called second city ring, which has been planned for a long time, is indisputable,” he stated.
The construction of the boulevard was initially launched during the administration of Yordanka Fandakova, but progress was stalled due to the refusal of the property owner to cooperate with the expropriation process. The demolition of the obstructing building marks a turning point, paving the way for the completion of a project that has been decades in the making.
The Directorate of Public Construction will oversee the execution of the project to ensure adherence to the approved design, regulatory requirements, and timelines, according to Lyutov.
