The US recovers the debris of a suspected spy balloon from China. Meanwhile, Beijing has summoned a diplomat from the American embassy.
China’s State Department has summoned the charge d’affaires at the American embassy in Beijing to protest the US military’s shooting down of a suspected Chinese spy balloon. Vice Foreign Minister Xie Feng said at Sunday’s meeting that the balloon’s entry was just an “accident” caused by “force majeure,” the foreign ministry said on Monday. “The facts are clear and cannot be twisted.”
Despite this, the US had “played deaf” and insisted on “abusing force against a civilian airship that was about to leave US airspace”. It was an “obvious overreaction” and violated “the spirit of international law and international norms,” the Deputy Foreign Minister was quoted as saying.
The US has thus “seriously impaired and damaged” the efforts and progress on both sides to stabilize relations since the meeting between China’s head of state and party leader Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden in November, Xie Feng said according to this information.
Government wants to protect the interests of Chinese companies
The Chinese government will closely monitor further developments and reserves the right to react as necessary. In a vague hint that the balloon may have been owned by civilians, the statement said the government wanted to protect “the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies.”
The United States shot down the balloon, which had been flying over the United States for days, with a rocket on Sunday off the Atlantic coast of South Carolina. China has been accused of using the balloon to spy on important military facilities. The government in Beijing, on the other hand, spoke of a research balloon that was far off course due to the westerly wind drift and insufficient control options. Here you can read more about it.