issue”new strain of covid” Subspecies BA.4 / BA.5 after yesterday Department of Medical Sciences announced thatCovid-19 Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 has already spread in Thailand 45% while Dr. Jesada Denduangboriban (Master Jet) Lecturer at Department of Biology Faculty of Science Chulalongkorn University was posted through Facebook on the topic “Covid Omicron Subspecies BA.4 and BA.5, how much should we worry about?”
Read related news.
– BA.4/BA.5, with over 45% of the epidemic in Thailand, had been infected with “Covid Omicron” and was re-infected.
– Update covids today, 10 provinces. High infection. Bangkok. 1,415. Keep an eye on Pak Nam, Ubon, Trat.
After starting to report that the virus was foundOmicron strain covid that is a new subspecies named BA.4 and BA.5 More outbreaks in many countries, and recently, there have been a number of them found in Thailand as well. which began to raise the question How much should we be concerned about this infection? Do I need to prepare for anything special? I try to summarize the information that I can find for you to consider.
– Omicron strain of covid Has evolved and mutated continuously, such as subspecies BA.2, which has been the main epidemic in our country during the past 2 months.
– But now it has evolved again. The subspecies BA.4 and BA.5 (see chart in the figure) have a faster infestation rate. More prone to lung infections which, in theory, may be more dangerous than the original Omikron (ie BA.2), although there is no direct evidence. that it actually caused the symptoms of serious disease
– Even though it sounds worrying But there are still no indications that it will cause a “wave” epidemic. and there were many more deaths. but there may be some increase when seen as a peak and those who will risk their lives with this infection It’s still a group that hasn’t been vaccinated. or have never been infected with COVID
– Currently, 97% of the coronavirus strains worldwide are omikron, with the most BA. 2.12.1 has 28%, BA.5 has 6%, and BA.4 has 3%.
– But the later subspecies start to have more and may replace BA.2, the World Health Organization (WHO) has designated them as “Evolution watching of species of concern (Variant of Concern lineages under monitoring)
– Outbreaks of BA.4 and BA.5 have been reported in South Africa. and Portugal causing the number of infected people to rise to the peak And now it is reported that these two subspecies has an increased ratio in other European countries including in the United States It is likely that it will become the main species in the future.
– The issue of concern for these strains (BA.4, BA.5 and BA.2.12.1) is that a mutation in the spiny protein gene at LR452 may be responsible for this. It is easier to infect than the original subspecies.
– Plus, they seem to infect more lung tissue. This is similar to other species such as Alpha Alpha or Delta Delta (the old Omikron. The subspecies BA.1 and BA.2 tend to infect the upper respiratory tract tissue. such as cells lining the nasal cavity
– Preliminary data from research by Kei Sato and colleagues at the University of Tokyo. It was shown that BA.4/5 and BA.2.12.1 proliferated in human lung cells. more efficiently than BA.2
– their experimental section In hamsters, BA.4 and BA.5 can cause severe illness. (although there is no evidence in humans) including that it multiplies. and may be resistant to the immune system of the rodents arising from previous infections
– It is possible that BA.4 and BA.5 will replace other species. Because it has the ability to dodge the body’s immunity. caused by previously infected or from vaccination to cause re-infection
– However, vaccines are still a good shield. to severe illness and death from these infections booster booster syringe It also tends to help boost immune levels in the body. in dealing with this new subspecies.
Summary of covid omikron The subspecies BA.4 and BA.5 are among the strains that need to be monitored. That will replace the original subspecies, such as BA.2, when the existing predictions of this size There is no indication that will cause a severe epidemic and there were many deaths like in previous years
Vaccination and booster It’s still the best approach. in protecting oneself and society from severe illness and death with these subspecies
Information from www.gavi.org